Please enter a search term.
Please note:You can only obtain complete information if you indicate the place of residence, the place of business or the building project, depending on the procedure.

Applying for medical rehab at the expense of pension insurance

The purpose of medical rehabilitation is to improve or restore your earning capacity.

A repetition of medical rehab is generally possible after 4 years – unless the service is required prematurely for health reasons.

Rehab is used to treat health and functional disorders. The type of treatment and selection of the rehabilitation facility depends on your complaints.

The rehabilitation takes place in a rehabilitation facility of the pension insurance or in one of its contracted facilities. Medical rehabilitation services are available on an inpatient or full-day outpatient basis and usually last 3 weeks. For addicts, there are regulations that deviate from this form and duration of benefits.

This is paid by the pension insurance:

  • The Journey
  • The space
  • Catering
  • medical care
  • Therapeutic services
  • medical applications

In the case of inpatient medical rehabilitation, you can contribute a maximum of EUR 10.00 per day to the costs. The co-payment depends on the amount of your income.

If employers do not continue to pay your salary during your medical rehabilitation due to similar pre-existing conditions, you may receive a transitional allowance from the pension insurance.

You will not be able to receive medical rehab if you

  • are entitled to a similar benefit from another rehabilitation institution (e.g. from accident insurance) due to an accident at work, an occupational disease or an injury caused by third parties,
  • are a civil servant, soldier, judge. Please contact your local integration office to find out from whom you can receive benefits.
  • are already receiving or have applied for an old-age pension (at least two-thirds of the full pension),
  • have permanently retired from working life and receive, for example, a company pension benefit until the start of retirement, or
  • are in pre-trial detention or in the execution of a custodial sentence.

Process flow

You can submit your application online, in person or in writing.

Online application:

  • On the website of the German Pension Insurance (DRV) under "Online Services" you will find detailed information on the procedure.
  • If you follow the link "Submit application", you will be guided through the next steps and can select the desired application.
  • Alternatively, you can use the online services with registration. For example, you can immediately see which insurance periods have already been recorded. It also saves you time and eliminates the need to re-enter data you already know.
  • Fill out the application completely and upload the required documents.
  • Submit your application online.
  • You will receive a confirmation of sending.
  • The responsible pension insurance institution will review your application.
  • You will receive a notification of your application.

Personal request:

  • Prepare the necessary documents for your application and make an appointment with the DRV.
  • When making an appointment online, your personal data and, if possible, your insurance number will be required.
  • You can select a desired counselling centre and your desired date. Depending on the availability of free appointments, you will receive a proposal for a binding consultation appointment.
  • In your personal interview, your application will be recorded electronically and forwarded online to the responsible pension insurance institution.
  • The responsible pension insurance institution will review your application.
  • You will receive a notification of your application.

Written application:

  • Go to the DRV website.
  • Download the desired application form.
  • You can also pick up the form in person at the information and counselling centres.
  • Fill out the application form, sign it, and attach the required documents.
  • Send all documents
    • by post to your pension insurance institution or
    • hand them in at one of the local counselling centres.
  • The responsible pension insurance institution will review your application.
  • You will receive a notification of your application.

Your application can also be submitted on your behalf by a person you trust. To do this, please submit a power of attorney to the pension insurance company. As long as the power of attorney is valid, the pension insurance will only apply to the person authorized by you.

If you give your consent to electronic communications, all correspondence may take place online. You can either use the electronic mailbox under the online services with registration or De-Mail.


You can receive medical rehabilitation from the pension insurance if you:

  • have been insured in the statutory pension insurance scheme for at least 15 years (so-called "waiting period of 15 years") or
  • receive a pension for reduced earning capacity, or
  • receive a large widow's or widower's pension due to reduced earning capacity, or
  • have paid compulsory contributions for an insured employment or activity for 6 calendar months in the last 2 years prior to the application, or
  • have been in insured employment or self-employment within 2 years of training up to the date of application, or have been unable to work or unemployed after such employment or activity until the application, or
  • or this is to be expected in the foreseeable future if you meet the general waiting period of 5 years.

Which documents are required?

  • Report of findings from your attending physician

What are the fees?

There are no costs.

What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?

There are no deadlines.

Processing duration

Usually 3 weeks.

Applications / forms

Forms available: Yes

Written form required: No

Informal application possible: No

Personal appearance required: No

Online services available: Yes


  • Contradiction
    Detailed information on how to file an objection can be found in your notice.
  • Complaint
    Detailed information on how to file a lawsuit can be found in the notice of objection.

Technically approved by

Federal Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs (BMAS)

Professionally released on



The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

Source: Serviceportal Niedersachsen (Portalverbund des Bundes und der Länder)