Please enter a search term.
Please note:You can only obtain complete information if you indicate the place of residence, the place of business or the building project, depending on the procedure.

Report an accident at work, on the way to work or at school to the statutory accident insurance

As a company or institution, you are obliged to report accidents at work, on the way to work and at school to the statutory accident insurance. The obligation to report exists if the injured person is expected to be unable to work for more than 3 days. In the case of children, pupils and students, you must report any accident that requires medical treatment.

After your report, the statutory accident insurance will check whether and to what extent insurance cover exists. For example, it is checked whether the accident is related to the company's activities or, for example, to school attendance. In addition, the accident insurance automatically checks which benefits are to be provided.

According to the law, the employers' liability insurance associations are responsible for all companies, institutions and freelancers. The employers' liability insurance associations are divided into sectors. For public-sector companies, for example also for accidents involving schoolchildren, the regionally structured accident insurance funds are responsible.

Process flow

You can report an accident at work or on the way to work online.

  • Fill out the online form on the service portal of the German Social Accident Insurance (DGUV) by answering the questions about the accident there.
  • If possible, have information about your local accident insurance institution and membership number ready. In this way, your report can be forwarded to the correct accident insurance institution more quickly.
  • Your report will be processed immediately upon receipt of your online form. After completing the web form, you will receive a copy of the accident report for download and the contact details of your accident insurance institution.
  • The statutory accident insurance or accident insurance fund then automatically checks which benefits are to be provided. You do not need to submit any further application for this.

Note: The injured person should consult a transit doctor after the accident at work. They have special knowledge and experience in the field of trauma medicine. In an emergency, of course, quick medical help is important and any doctor can be consulted.


  • Accident at work, on the way to work or at school of your employee, as a result of which he or she is likely to be unable to work for more than 3 days
  • Accident involving pupils, students or kindergarten requiring medical treatment

Which documents are required?

You don't need to submit any documents.

Processing duration


Applications / forms

Forms available: Yes

Written form required: No

Informal application possible: No

Personal appearance required: No


  • Contradiction
  • Detailed information on how to file an objection can be found in the notice issued by your employers' liability insurance association or accident insurance fund.

Technically approved by

Federal Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs (BMAS)

Professionally released on



The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

Source: Serviceportal Niedersachsen (Portalverbund des Bundes und der Länder)