For an area outside of Lower Saxony and foreign languages, some menu items and functions are not available. Please go to the service page of the respective country.

For Citizens

Enter your place of residence or the place where you would like to contact the administration or use the location determination.

Information Driver assistance systems Grant

As a rule, one or more driving assistance systems are already installed in most (new) vehicles. These can be, for example:

  • Anti-lock system (ABS)
  • Electronic Stability Program (ESP)
  • Brake Assist (BAS)

As a driver in critical traffic situations, you support and relieve you in critical traffic situations and help you drive safely.

If you want to know which driving assistance systems are installed in your car, you can check the vehicle license. If you buy a vehicle with an already installed driver assistance system, the installation of the driver assistant has usually already been approved. If the driver's assistant has only been installed after the vehicle has been first registered, you should have the copy of the vehicle part approval handed over or proof of acceptance of the change at the time of purchase.

You can also have your car retrofitted yourself with driving assistance systems. With the subsequent installation of the assistance system, you make a technical change to your car. As a result, your vehicle's operating license may expire.
For example, the operating licence expires if the installation

  • the type of vehicle approved in the type of vehicle is changed,
  • a risk to road users is to be expected, or
  • emissions or noise behaviour is worsened.

In any case, you should be aware of the

  • at your workshop,
  • at TÜV or
  • your vehicle registration office.

whether the general operating licence for your vehicle will remain in place or expire.
In order to be allowed to continue to participate in road traffic after the installation of a driver assistance system, it is important to ensure that

  • has an operating licence for vehicle parts for the driver assistance system,
  • the installation instructions of the operating licence of the driver assistance system are observed during installation and
  • a modification acceptance is carried out by a technical inspection body or a technical service if it requires the installation instructions.

For this purpose, you can contact these technical testing points:

  • Tüv
  • Dekra
  • GTÜ
  • KÜS
  • Fsp

Please report the changes made to your vehicle to your competent vehicle registration office so that they can be recorded in your vehicle registration certificate.

If you have retrofitted your car with a driver assistance system, you should always carry all the documentation for installation in your vehicle. You must present them to the police at a traffic check. Installation documents include:

  • general operating licence for the driver assistance system, as well as
  • the opinion of the technical inspection body of any necessary acceptance of amendments.

Source: Serviceportal Niedersachsen (Portalverbund des Bundes und der Länder)

Top of the Page