Application for entry in the list of architects on the basis of special distinction according to § 8 para. 2 NArchtG (genius regulation)
The professional title "architect" may only be used by those who are registered under this respective designation in the list of architects of the Lower Saxony Chamber of Architects, the corresponding directory in another federal state or the directory of external service providers. The same applies to word combinations with the job titles or similar designations. The relevant regulations can be found in particular in § 1 of the Lower Saxony Architects Act (NArchtG).
In this way, in order to protect consumers, it is ensured that only adequately qualified planners practice the profession and that they comply with certain professional rules. However, such protection of the professional title makes it necessary for the Chamber of Architects to require those to be registered to provide proof of their qualifications. The qualification can be demonstrated, among other things, by the fact that the applicant has distinguished himself particularly through the quality of his achievements in the field of architecture.
By registering, you become a member of the Chamber. In the case of architects, membership is linked to the right to submit building documents in accordance with Section 53 (3) No. 1 of the Lower Saxony Building Code (NBauO).
Type of employment
Entry in the list of architects is made depending on your activity in one of the following four types of employment:
- active in the construction industry
- Civil servant
An application for registration must be submitted in writing or online using the form provided. The supporting documents referred to under "Required documents" must be attached to the application.
The procedure is essentially regulated in § 12 NArchtG.
Who should I contact?
Lower Saxony Chamber of Architects
Registration in accordance with Section 8 (2) NArchtG is possible under the following conditions:
- The applicant has distinguished himself particularly by the quality of his achievements in the field of architecture and has proven this by his own work or a certificate from a competent authority of another Member State of the European Union, another State party to the Agreement on the European Economic Area or a State treated as such by agreement.
- Residence, professional establishment or place of work in Lower Saxony
For registration in the type of employment "freelance":
- Proof of adequate professional indemnity insurance
Which documents are required?
The application must be accompanied by documents relating to the following areas:
- Submission of own work in the field of architecture
- own publications in the field of architecture
- For applicants from the EU, the EEA or equivalent countries: if applicable, certificate of special award abroad
- Proof of training (if available)
- foreign applicants: Copy of identity card or passport as proof of nationality
- Type of employment
- For freelance applicants:
Proof of professional indemnity insurance
In detail, these are the following documents and proofs:
All documents in non-German must be accompanied by a translation, which must be confirmed by a publicly appointed and sworn translator.
• Submission of own work
Self-prepared planning documents must be submitted for the objects mentioned in the application, which show that the applicant has distinguished himself particularly by the quality of his services in the field of architecture.
• Applicant's publications in the field of architecture
• For applicants from a member state of the EU or another state party to the Agreement on the European Economic Area or a state treated as such by agreement:
If applicable, certificate from the competent authority of the country of origin on the special distinction in the field of architecture in accordance with Art. 48 para. 2 of Directive 2005/36/EC (Professional Recognition Directive)
• Proof of training (if available)
• Foreign applicants:
Copy of identity card or passport as proof of nationality
Type of employment
- The type of employment as a freelancer must be proven by a certificate from the tax consultant, the tax office or the office partner(s).
- The type of employment employed is proven by a certificate from the employer. Unemployed applicants must submit a certificate from the Employment Agency, if necessary a copy of the approval notice.
- Civil servant applicants submit a copy of their certificate of appointment and a recent certificate from the employer on the nature of the activity.
- Applicants working in the construction industry submit a business registration or an excerpt from the commercial register with a list of shareholders.
For freelance applicants
Proof of continuous professional indemnity insurance
Registration presupposes that the applicant has a place of residence or a professional establishment in Lower Saxony or exercises the profession in whole or in part, but not only temporarily and occasionally, in Lower Saxony (§ 5 para. 1 no. 1 NArchtG).
What are the fees?
Registration fee: EUR 285.00
If you do not use the fully electronic application procedure including the online payment function, please enclose a receipt, e.g. a printout of the transfer for online banking about the payment, with your registration application. The bank details are:
Nord/LB Hannover: BIC NOLADE2HXXX - IBAN: DE55 2505 0000 0101 4747 81
Commerzbank Hannover: BIC COBADEFFXXX - IBAN: DE97 2504 0066 0338 8345
The following payment methods are possible online:
- Credit card
What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?
There are no deadlines to be observed.
As arule, 4 – 8 weeks; a maximum of 3 months, in exceptional cases up to 4 months (cf. § 12 NArchtG)
Possibility of bringing an action before the Administrative Court of Hanover
What else should I know?
Technically approved by
Lower Saxony Chamber of Architects.
The text was automatically translated based on the German content.