Application for entry in the list of architects on the basis of special distinction according to § 8 para. 2 NArchtG (genius regulation)
The professional title "architect" may only be used by those who are entered under this respective title in the list of architects of the Chamber of Architects of Lower Saxony, the corresponding directory in another federal state or the directory of external service providers. The same applies to word combinations with the job title or similar designations. The relevant regulations can be found in particular in § 1 of the Lower Saxony Architects Act (NArchtG).
In this way, in order to protect consumers, it is ensured that only sufficiently qualified planners carry out the profession and that they comply with certain professional rules. However, such protection of the professional title makes it necessary for the Chamber of Architects to require those to be registered to provide proof of their qualifications. The qualification can be demonstrated, inter alia, by the fact that the applicant has distinguished himself by the quality of his achievements in the field of architecture.
By registering, you become a member of the Chamber. In the case of architects, membership is associated with the authorisation to submit building documents in accordance with § 53 (3) No. 1 of the Lower Saxony Building Code (NBauO).
Type of employment
Entry in the list of architects takes place depending on your activity in one of the following four types of employment:
- active in the construction industry
- Civil servant
An application for registration must be submitted in writing or online using the form provided. The supporting documents mentioned under "Required documents" must be attached to the application.
The procedure is essentially governed by § 12 NArchtG.
Who should I contact?
Lower Saxony Chamber of Architects
Registration according to § 8 para. 2 NArchtG is possible under the following conditions:
- The applicant has distinguished himself by the quality of his achievements in the field of architecture and has proven this by his own work or by a certificate from a competent authority of another Member State of the European Union, another state party to the Agreement on the European Economic Area or a state treated as such by agreement.
- Residence, professional establishment or place of work in Lower Saxony
For registration in the type of employment "self-employed":
- Proof of adequate professional indemnity insurance
Which documents are required?
The application must be accompanied by documents relating to the following areas:
- Submission of own works in the field of architecture
- own publications in the field of architecture
- For applicants from the EU, the EEA or equivalent countries: if applicable, certificate of the special award abroad
- Proof of education (if available)
- foreign applicants: Copy of identity card or passport as proof of nationality
- Type of employment
- For freelance applicants:
Proof of professional indemnity insurance
In detail, these are the following documents and proofs:
All documents in non-German language must be accompanied by a translation, which must be certified by a publicly appointed and sworn translator.
• Submission of own work
For the properties mentioned in the application, it is necessary to submit planning documents drawn up by the applicant, from which it can be seen that the applicant has distinguished himself by the quality of his services in the field of architecture.
• Publications of the applicant in the field of architecture
• For applicants from a member state of the EU or another state party to the Agreement on the European Economic Area or a state treated as such by agreement:
If applicable, certificate from the competent authority of the country of origin of the special distinction in the field of architecture in accordance with Art. 48 para. 2 of Directive 2005/36/EC (Professional Recognition Directive)
• Proof of education (if available)
• Foreign applicants:
Copy of identity card or passport as proof of nationality
Type of employment
- The type of freelance employment must be proven by a certificate from the tax advisor, the tax office or the office partner(s).
- The type of employment employed is proven by a certificate from the employer. Unemployed applicants submit a certificate from the Employment Agency, if applicable, a copy of the approval notice.
- Civil servant applicants submit a copy of their certificate of appointment and a current certificate from the employer stating the nature of the activity.
- Applicants active in the construction industry submit a business registration or an excerpt from the commercial register with a list of shareholders.
For freelance applicants
Proof of ongoing professional indemnity insurance
Registration is subject to the condition that the applicant has a domicile or a professional establishment in Lower Saxony or that he or she exercises the profession in Lower Saxony in whole or in part, but not only temporarily and occasionally (§ 5 para. 1 no. 1 NArchtG).
What are the fees?
Registration fee: 285,00 EUR
If you do not use the fully electronic application procedure including the online payment function, please enclose a receipt, e.g. printout of the transfer to online banking, with your registration application. The bank details are:
Nord/LB Hannover: BIC NOLADE2HXXX - IBAN: DE55 2505 0000 0101 4747 81
Commerzbank Hannover: BIC COBADEFFXXX - IBAN: DE97 2504 0066 0338 8345
The following payment methods are possible online:
- Credit card
What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?
There are no deadlines to be observed.
Asa rule, 4 – 8 weeks; maximum 3 months, in exceptional cases up to 4 months (cf. § 12 NArchtG)
Possibility of filing a lawsuit before the Administrative Court of Hanover
What else should I know?
Technically approved by
Chamber of Architects of Lower Saxony.
The text was automatically translated based on the German content.