Equivalence Determination of professions in the craft sector with professional qualifications from abroad
There are about 200 different professions in the craft sector in Germany.
For 41 professions in the skilled trades, you need a specific professional qualification. These are the "crafts subject to approval". Only with the necessary professional qualification are you allowed to work independently in these professions on a permanent basis. These 41 regulated professions are subject to further regulations.
All other professions in the craft sector are not regulated. This means that if you want to work independently in these professions on a permanent basis, you do not need a specific professional qualification.
You do not have to have your foreign professional qualification recognised. However, they have the right to a recognition procedure. The procedure is called "equivalence determination". An equivalence determination brings you advantages:
- At the end of the procedure, you will receive a notification of equivalence. The notification is proof of your professional qualification.
- The decision is an official and legally secure document. You and your employers can rely on the content.
- The decision increases your chances on the job market. Employers can better assess your professional qualifications with the decision.
The competent authorities advise you before the application is submitted
- You submit a written "application for equivalence assessment" with the necessary documents to the competent body.
- For professional qualifications from EU/EEA/Switzerland: You can submit the application and the documents directly to the competent body or to the Point of Single Contact. You can also submit the application electronically via the Point of Single Contact.
- The competent authority will then compare your professional qualification from abroad with the German professional qualification and check the equivalence. If your professional qualification is equivalent, it will be recognised. You will receive the notification of equivalence (recognition notice) by post.
- If your professional qualification is not equivalent, it will not be recognised. You will receive a notification of the differences between your foreign professional qualifications. With this notification, you can further qualify yourself and later submit a new application for equivalence determination.
- You can take legal action against the decision of the competent authority. The decision will then be reviewed. We recommend that you first talk to the competent authority before taking legal action against the decision.
Who should I contact?
Responsibility lies with the regional chambers of crafts.
- They have formal training in crafts from abroad.
- Youwould like to work in Germany in the profession in question.
Which documents are required?
The competent authority will inform you which documents you need to submit. Important documents are in general:
- Proof of identity (passport or identity card)
- List in tabular form with your education and professional experience (curriculum vitae)
- Evidence of formal qualifications
- Certificate attesting to the nature and duration of the relevant professional practice
- a declaration that you have not yet submitted an application for an equivalence assessment
- possibly proof that you want to work in Germany
The competent authority will inform you which documents you must submit in the original or as certified copies.
You must submit your documents in German. The translations must be made by publicly appointed or authorised translators.
What are the fees?
Fees apply. Please contact the relevant authority.
What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?
There are no deadlines to be observed.
Processing Time: 3 Months
Technically approved by
Federal Ministry for Economic Affairs and Energy
Professionally released on
The text was automatically translated based on the German content.