Promoting river development
Streams and rivers are important components of ecosystems and valuable habitats for animals and plants. The river development funding measure supports projects that serve to restore and maintain the natural dynamics, structure and functionality of river landscapes through suitable projects within the meaning of the Lower Saxony River Programme and the EC Water Framework Directive (EC-WFD) in order to improve the condition of local streams and rivers as well as their floodplains, to strengthen the sustainable development of rural areas and to protect the natural heritage. receive.
Who should I contact?
The responsibility lies with the Lower Saxony State Agency for Water Management, Coastal Protection and Nature Conservation (NLWKN).
Funding is provided for projects that serve to improve water quality as well as accompanying preparatory and follow-up work in this regard. These include the following projects:
- Near-natural transformations in the area of waters, embankments and floodplains,
- Creation of water development corridors, watercourse margins and protective plantings as a contribution to the creation of retention space, to the improvement of the water balance, to the creation of floodplain-typical elements and to the reduction of substance inputs,
- removal and redesign of ecologically effective barriers (e.g. installation of floodlights, fish passes or the relocation of dikes),
- Other necessary expenditure that is factually related to the above-mentioned projects, such as planning, special purpose research and individual case studies, acquisition of land as well as compensation or redemption payments, public relations projects and further training insofar as they serve the implementation of the river programme and the EC WFD.
In addition to larger and medium-sized projects, support should also be given to small or small-scale projects, which are independent and self-contained according to the first two bullet points, which contribute to the achievement of the objectives of the WFD from a local or regional point of view.
Projects for which there is a legal obligation (e.g. binding compensation measures) are not eligible.
- Local authorities and public bodies
- non-commercial legal entities that perform water management or other environmentally relevant tasks
It should be noted that municipalities and their associations in the legal form of legal entities under public law are not eligible to apply for so-called "small projects".
The projects must take into account the requirements of water management, environmental protection and nature conservation and landscape management, , and serve to improve the ecological quality components or the chemical status of the waters in accordance with the EC WFD.
Which documents are required?
Documents may be required. Please contact the competent authority.
What are the fees?
Fees may apply, please contact the competent authority.
What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?
Deadlines may have to be observed. Please contact the competent authority.
Applications / forms
The granting authority sets application deadlines in agreement with the department responsible for the programme. The announcement is made on the website of the Lower Saxony State Agency for Water Management, Coastal Protection and Nature Conservation (NLWKN).
Applications for funding must be submitted to the NLWKN using the official application form. They are available on the Internet at:
Technically approved by
Lower Saxony Ministry for the Environment, Energy, Building and Climate Protection
Professionally released on
The text was automatically translated based on the German content.