Taking parental leave
You are entitled to parental leave for a limited period of time to care for and raise your child. In principle, the entitlement exists within the first three years of life.
For births since 01.07.2015, up to a maximum of 24 months of unused parental leave can also be taken between the child's third birthday and the completion of the eighth year of the child's life.
The registration of parental leave takes place
- in writing, but informally with the employer,
- within the first three years of the child's life at the latest seven weeks before the desired start of parental leave,
- for births since 01.07.2015: between the third birthday and the completion of the eighth year at the latest 13 weeks before the desired start of parental leave.
Employees should only start their parental leave after the end of the postnatal maternity protection period.
Who should I contact?
The responsibility lies with the employer.
You can register parental leave if you
- are in an employment relationship in Germany or in an employment relationship abroad under German labour law,
- live with your child in the same household,
- look after and educate your child yourself and
are not employed for more than 30 hours per week on average during parental leave.
Which documents are required?
- written registration with your employer
- if applicable, birth certificate of the child
- If applicable, acknowledgement of paternity
- if applicable, consent of the parent with custody
What are the fees?
There are no fees.
What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?
Deadlines may have to be observed. Please contact the competent authority.
What else should I know?
Technically approved by
Federal Ministry for Family Affairs, Senior Citizens, Women and Youth
Professionally released on
The text was automatically translated based on the German content.