Family care time Provision of information
With the family care leave, you have the opportunity to reduce your work to up to 15 hours per week for up to 24 months in order to care for a relative in need of care in a home environment.
Who should I contact?
Responsibility lies with the Federal Ministry for Family Affairs, Senior Citizens, Women and Youth.
The following key points apply to family care leave:
A legal claim exists if
- the company usually has 26 or more employees (per capita but without trainees)
- the close relative/close relative has at least care level 1 (presentation of proof of the degree of care required)
- care is provided in a home environment
- for minor close relatives in need of care, care outside the home is also possible (e.g. in a special clinic)
- remaining working hours must be at least 15 hours per week
- a written agreement on working time and the distribution of hours has been concluded with the employer.
Which documents are required?
Documents may be required. Please contact the competent authority.
What are the fees?
There are no fees.
What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?
- The written notice must be received by the employer no later than eight weeks before the start of the family care period.
- If the family care period is taken before the care period, the notice period is eight weeks.
- If the family care period is taken after the care period, the notice period is three months.
- In total, the exemptions may not exceed 24 months.
Applications / forms
A sample form for the announcement of the family care leave and forms for applying for the interest-free loan can be found on the website "Wege zur Pflege" of the Federal Ministry for Family Affairs, Senior Citizens, Women and Youth in the service area family care time.
What else should I know?
- The employer can only object to the employee's wishes regarding working hours for urgent operational reasons.
- A change in the fixed working hours during the current family care period is only possible if the employer agrees.
- To cushion the loss of income, an interest-free loan can be applied for.
- Directly before or directly after the family care period, care leave (according to the Care Leave Act) can be claimed.
Technically approved by
Federal Ministry for Family Affairs, Senior Citizens, Women and Youth
Professionally released on
The text was automatically translated based on the German content.