Electronic health card for refugees
Refugees can receive an electronic health card (eGK) in the first 15 months after their admission.
As before, the scope of benefits is governed by the Asylum Seekers Benefits Act. This includes in the first 15 months:
- the medical treatment of acute illnesses and pain conditions,
- the provision of protective vaccinations in accordance with the benefits of the statutory health insurance and medically required preventive examinations and
- other benefits, provided that they are essential to safeguard health or to meet the special needs of children (discretionary benefit).
The competent authority reports the refugees to the competent health insurance fund. This sends the electronic health card to the refugees. Until then, the refugees will receive a provisional billing slip from the health insurance company for medical and dental care. This is handed over to the refugees by the competent authority.
Who should I contact?
The responsibility lies with the district and the independent city to which the refugee was assigned.
The electronic health card is not offered by all districts and independent cities in Lower Saxony, there is no legal claim. You can find out whether and under what conditions you will receive them from the office responsible for you.
- leaving the initial reception centre, and
- Assignment to a municipality
Which documents are required?
- Healthcare registration form
- a photograph
What are the fees?
There are no fees.
What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?
On the electronic health card (eGK) a corresponding field "Insurance until date" is provided, which allows a limitation of the card. The eGK for refugees can be limited for the first 15 months of residence.
Technically approved by
Federal Ministry of Health (BMG), Division G15
The text was automatically translated based on the German content.