For an area outside of Lower Saxony and foreign languages, some menu items and functions are not available. Please go to the service page of the respective country.

For Citizens

Enter your place of residence or the place where you would like to contact the administration or use the location determination.

Foreign professional qualification Recognition as an engineer

If you wish to hold the professional title "Engineer" or "Engineer" in Germany, the equivalence of your foreign professional qualification with the German qualification must be determined by the competent authority.

The certificate of equivalence is helpful for the exercise of the profession, but not a mandatory requirement. You can apply to the labour market as an engineer with foreign qualifications even without a formal equivalence certificate. However, you may not hold or use the German professional title "Engineer" or "Engineer" without a certificate of equivalence.

Source: Serviceportal Niedersachsen (Portalverbund des Bundes und der Länder)

Top of the Page