For an area outside of Lower Saxony and foreign languages, some menu items and functions are not available. Please go to the service page of the respective country.

For Citizens

Enter your place of residence or the place where you would like to contact the administration or use the location determination.

Apply for a tax class change at the time of marriage

Spouses who are both subject to unlimited income tax and do not live permanently separated are automatically classified in tax class IV at the time of marriage, even if only one spouse receives wages.

If you and your spouse meet the requirements for tax class IV, you can also apply for the formation of tax class III for one spouse and tax class V for the other.

Furthermore, you and your spouse can also choose the tax class combination IV/IV with factor.
(see further information)

If your employer and/or your spouse's employer is not to be informed of the changed marital status, you and/or your spouse can apply to your competent tax office for consideration of a less favourable tax bracket. This would be tax class I.
It is also possible for you and/or your spouse to block your employer from retrieving the Electronic Income Tax Deduction Features (ELStAM).

You and/or your spouse must apply to your responsible tax office for blocking the employer call (see further information).

If you have the call blocked for your employer, your employer is obliged to pay tax on your salary according to tax class VI.

Since the entry into force of the act introducing the right to marry for persons of the same sex on 1.10.2017, no new civil partnerships can be established in Germany.

Since then, same-sex couples have been able to enter into marriage with each other and are thus on an equal footing with couples of different sexes.

Existing civil partnerships can be converted into a marriage. However, there is no obligation to do so. Existing civil partnerships can be continued in their current form.

Source: Serviceportal Niedersachsen (Portalverbund des Bundes und der Länder)

Top of the Page