Please enter a search term.
Please note:You can only obtain complete information if you indicate the place of residence, the place of business or the building project, depending on the procedure.

Apply for a severely disabled person's pass

If you have been diagnosed with a degree of disability of at least 50, you can apply for the issuance of a severely disabled person's pass.

This is issued for up to five years or indefinitely, depending on the chance of improving your state of health.

If you are a severely disabled person whose residence permit is temporary, the card can only be issued as long as the residence permit is valid.

The severely disabled person's pass allows you to prove that you are severely disabled and points out special health restrictions. You can use it to claim special rights and corresponding compensation for disadvantages.

If other important data expires, is lost or other important data is changed, you must apply for a new issue of the severely disabled person's pass.

Process flow

You can only apply for a severely disabled person's pass if you have previously been diagnosed with a degree of disability of at least 50.

If you submit an application to the competent authority for the determination of a disability, you will automatically be issued a severely disabled person's pass if the degree of disability is at least 50, provided that you already have a passport photo there.

If that's not the case,

  • However, you already have a declaratory decision or a corresponding administrative or court decision with a degree of disability of at least 50
  • or in the event of loss, damage or expiry of your existing severely disabled person's pass,

you can apply to the competent authority for a (new) issuance of the severely disabled person's pass.

For the issuance, you must send a photo/passport photo of yourself to the competent authority. The competent authority checks the requirements for issuing the severely disabled person's pass in each case.

If the conditions are met, she will issue a (new) severely disabled person's pass and send you the card.


  • You have a notice of determination of a disability of at least one grade 50.
  • If you are not a German citizen, you need a valid residence permit.

Which documents are required?

  • Notice of determination of disability of at least grade 50 or equivalent business mark
  • Photo the size of a passport photo (from the age of 10)
  • valid residence permit in Germany (for non-German citizens)

What are the fees?

Fee: free of charge

What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?

There are no deadlines.

Applications / forms

Forms/online services available: Yes

Written form required: No

Informal application possible: Yes

Personal appearance required: No

What else should I know?

Important: On the back of the photo/passport photo, you must write the file number of the authority issuing the card.

Disability and ID – Answers to Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Technically approved by

Lower Saxony Ministry of Social Affairs, Labour, Health and Equality

Professionally released on



The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

Source: Serviceportal Niedersachsen (Portalverbund des Bundes und der Länder)