Please enter a search term.
Please note:You can only obtain complete information if you indicate the place of residence, the place of business or the building project, depending on the procedure.

Apply for integration assistance for children and adolescents with mental disabilities or imminent mental disabilities

Some children and adolescents cannot participate in public life on an equal footing due to their disability. The integration assistance supports children and young people with disabilities so that they can lead a self-determined life. This integration assistance is aimed at children and adolescents with a mental or imminent mental disability.

Integration assistance is divided into 4 groups:

  • Medical rehabilitation services
  • Benefits for participation in working life
  • Benefits for participation in education and
  • Benefits for social participation

Integration assistance can look like this:

  • in outpatient form, outside inpatient facilities, for example school support,
  • in day care facilities for children or in other day-care facilities,
  • in daytime and nighttime facilities and other forms of housing,
  • accommodation in full-time care (with suitable persons; according to § 35a para. 2 no. 3 SGB VIII).

A mental disability can be, for example, an anxiety disorder, depression, psychosis, autism, ADHD or an eating disorder.

In addition to mental disability, there are also physical and mental disabilities. There may also be integration assistance for this. Other bodies may be responsible for this. Ask your youth welfare office which office is responsible for you.

Process flow

  • Contact the competent authority.
  • In a personal conversation, you will be shown possible help. In addition or in combination, these can also be an aid to education or help from other rehabilitation providers.
  • Integration assistance can only be granted if a suitable doctor certifies a mental or imminent mental disability.
  • All parties involved (you, your child, the employee of the independent organisation and the Youth Welfare Office) meet for a help plan discussion. The aid plan sets out how the aid is to be structured and what objectives are to be achieved.
  • If necessary, a participation plan procedure will be carried out in addition.
  • You submit an application for integration assistance.
  • The competent authority commissions an independent welfare institution to carry out the integration assistance

Who should I contact?

The local Jgendamt

Youth welfare offices in Lower Saxony


  • Young people are eligible. You can apply from the age of 15.
  • Before the age of 15, their legal representatives submit an application on their behalf.
  • Your child has a mental disability or is at risk of it. The condition is likely to last more than 6 months.
  • Your child's participation in social life is impaired.

Which documents are required?

Documents may be required. Please contact the competent authority.

What are the fees?

Integration assistance in outpatient form is free of charge. For example, school accompaniment is an outpatient service.

In the case of partially or fully inpatient integration assistance in day care facilities, with caregivers or in facilities over the day and night, you must participate to an appropriate extent. Please ask the responsible youth welfare office.

What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?

There are no deadlines to be observed.

Technically approved by

Lower Saxony Ministry of Social Affairs, Labour, Health and Equality


The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

Source: Serviceportal Niedersachsen (Portalverbund des Bundes und der Länder)