For an area outside of Lower Saxony and foreign languages, some menu items and functions are not available. Please go to the service page of the respective country.

For Citizens

Enter your place of residence or the place where you would like to contact the administration or use the location determination.

Foreign vocational training qualifications: recognition

You can apply for recognition and evaluation by the competent authority of the country in which you reside for your professional qualification obtained abroad if you have not yet made such an application to any other authority in Germany. The recognition and evaluation of foreign professional qualifications is based on various legal bases. Examples are:

  • The recognition or equality of professional qualifications of applicants who are entitled under the Federal Displaced Persons Act is based on the Federal Displaced Persons Act.
  • The recognition of professional qualifications acquired in the EU, the EEA or Switzerland is regulated by EU Directive 2005/36/EC on the recognition of professional qualifications for EU, EEA and Swiss nationals. The Directive has been transposed into national law in the EU, EEA and Switzerland Member States. It is applicable when it comes to access to a profession regulated in the country in which the country concerned, i.e. where the taking up or pursuit of a professional activity is linked to the possession of a particular professional qualification.
  • The recognition of vocational qualifications as a German assistant profession or as a German technical school leaving certificate is regulated in some countries in the corresponding school regulations.

Source: Serviceportal Niedersachsen (Portalverbund des Bundes und der Länder)

Top of the Page