For an area outside of Lower Saxony and foreign languages, some menu items and functions are not available. Please go to the service page of the respective country.

For Citizens - Service Finder

Enter your place of residence or the place where you would like to contact the administration or use the location determination.

Apply for help with care

With the help of this application, you can apply for help with care.

If you are dependent on the help of others due to health impairments, under certain circumstances you are entitled to help with care in accordance with the Twelfth Book of the Social Code (SGB XII) in addition to the claims from long-term care insurance.

The reason for the need can be physical, cognitive or psychological impairments or health-related stresses or requirements that cannot be compensated for and mastered independently.

The determination of whether and to what extent there is a need for care is carried out by the Medical Service of the Health Insurance (MDK), which is commissioned by your long-term care insurance. Further information on the assessment procedure can be obtained from your long-term care insurance.

The Medical Service of the Health Insurance (MDK) determines your need for care. It assesses how independently you can still cope with your everyday life. The degree of care is determined with a points system. Your responsible nursing care fund is then responsible for covering the care costs. However, depending on the type of benefit, the costs are only covered by the long-term care insurance up to certain maximum limits. If it is not possible for you to cover the uncovered remaining costs, social assistance benefits (SGB XII) – such as assistance for care – come into question, taking into account the findings of the MDK.

If you do not have long-term care insurance and thus do not receive an expert opinion from the MDK and no classification into a nursing degree by the nursing care fund, the social assistance provider can commission the responsible health office (so-called official doctor) with an assessment.

You will only receive help with care if your income and assets (or those of your spouse or partner) are insufficient. Dependent relatives are used if their annual gross income is more than EUR 100,000.00, see also Act on the Relief of Dependent Relatives in Social Assistance and Integration Assistance (so-called Relatives Relief Act).

You are entitled to the following benefits:

From care level 1:

  • Care aids
  • measures to improve the living environment;
  • Digital Care Applications
  • Supplementary support for the use of digital care applications
  • a relief amount.

From care level 2 - 5:

  • Home care (in the form of care allowance, home care assistance, preventive care, care aids, measures to improve the living environment, other services, digital care applications, supplementary support for the use of digital care applications)
  • Semi-inpatient care
  • Short-term care
  • a relief amount
  • Inpatient care

Assistance for care will be provided by the competent authority after examination of your documents, provided that the necessary conditions are met.


Source: Serviceportal Niedersachsen (Portalverbund des Bundes und der Länder)

Top of the Page