Please enter a search term.

Your selected location: Herzlake

For an area outside of Lower Saxony and foreign languages, some menu items and functions are not available. Please go to the service page of the respective country.

Notification of a birth Receipt Supplementary data delivery

If you have had a child, you must inform the responsible registry office and submit the necessary documents.
The registry office in whose area of responsibility the child was born is responsible.
If your child was born in a hospital or a birthing centre, the birth will be reported to the registry office by these institutions. If you have a home birth, you will receive a birth certificate, which you must hand in personally at your local registry office.
In addition to the birth notification, you must submit further information and documents required for the registration of the birth to the responsible registry office if these cannot be found in registers to which the registry office has access.

The registry office keeps a register of births in which the following entries are made:

  • The child's first names and maiden name
  • Place, day, hour and minute of birth
  • The sex of the child
  • The first names and surnames of the parents, their gender.

Choice of the child's first name:
As a custodian, you are free to choose the child's first name. Selected first names must not be contrary to the best interests of the child. Designations that are not first names by their nature may not be chosen. Several first names can be combined into one first name. Such a connection should contain no more than one hyphen.

Choice of the child's birth name:
If you have a common married name, the child will receive it as your birth name.
If you as parents do not have a married name and you have joint custody, you can make a declaration to the registry office to determine the name that the father or mother has at the time of the declaration as the child's birth name. A declaration made after the birth has been notarized must be publicly certified. If you have chosen a birth name for your child, it will also apply to other children.

The custodians can determine to the registry office that a child should receive the family name

  • under the law of a state to which a parent is a national,
  • under German law, if one parent has his or her habitual residence in Germany
  • according to the law of the state to which a person giving the name belongs.

Process flow

Who should I contact?

to the registry office in whose district the child was born.

What are the fees?

There are no costs.

What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?

The birth of the child must be reported to the responsible registry office within one week. If a child is stillborn, the notification must be displayed no later than the third working day following the birth.

Parents with joint custody who do not have a married name must inform the competent registry office of the child's birth name within one month of the child's birth.

What else should I know?

The registry office that certifies the birth must notify the following:

  1. the registry office, which keeps the birth records for the child's parents,
  2. the registry office I in Berlin, if the child was born abroad,
  3. the registration authority,
  4. the family court, if
    • the child was born after the death of his father
    • it is a foundling or a minor whose civil status cannot be determined, or
    • it is a child from a confidential birth pursuant to Section 25 (1) of the Pregnancy Conflict Act,
  5. the Youth Welfare Office, if the parents of the child are not married to each other,
  6. the family court if parents with joint custody who do not have a married name have not determined the birth name of the child within one month of the child's birth,
  7. the Federal Office for Family and Civil Society Tasks if the child was born confidentially in accordance with Section 25 (1) of the Pregnancy Conflict Act,
  8. the parental allowance office, if the registry office becomes aware that an application for parental allowance has been submitted and if the applicant has consented to the transfer of data

The processing of personal data by a public body is permissible if it is necessary for the performance of the task within the competence of the controller or in the exercise of official authority vested in the controller.

Technically approved by

Lower Saxony Ministry of the Interior and Sports

Data protection information

Landkreis Emsland
Address: Ordeniederung 1 , 49716 Meppen
Postal address: Post Office Box 15 62 , 49705 Meppen
Telephone: 05931 44-0
Fax: 05931 44-3621
Transport Connection:
Station Haltestelle Kreishaus
Bus: 993

Building Access
elevator available, wheelchair-accessible
bank account:
recipients: Landkreis Emsland
bank: Emsländische Volksbank
IBAN: DE26266600600120050000
recipients: Landkreis Emsland
bank: Sparkasse Emsland
IBAN: DE39266500010000001339
recipients: Landkreis Emsland
bank: Postbank Hannover
IBAN: DE36250100300012132306


Marc-André Burgdorf
responsible for:
Bernd Otten (Datenschutzbeauftragter)
Telephone: 05931 44-1605
Fax: 05931 44-391605
responsible for:

Landesbeauftragte für den Datenschutz Niedersachsen
Address: Prinzenstraße 5, 30159 Hannover
Telephone: +49 511 12045-00
Fax: +49 511 12045-99

Source: Serviceportal Niedersachsen (Portalverbund des Bundes und der Länder)