Please enter a search term.

Your selected location: Papenburg (268...)

For an area outside of Lower Saxony and foreign languages, some menu items and functions are not available. Please go to the service page of the respective country.

Applying for parental allowance

Parental allowance is a benefit for parents of infants and young children. It replaces part of the lost income if you want to be there for your child after birth and interrupt or restrict your professional work. Parental allowance is also available for parents who had no income before birth.

Parental allowance is available in three variants:
• Basic parental allowance
• Parental allowance plus
• Partnership bonus

Parental allowance plus and the partnership bonus support you especially if you share gainful employment and family work after the birth.

Even if you are a single parent, you can apply for the different variants. For adopted children and children in adoption care, parental allowance is also possible.

As parents, you can decide for yourself who claims the parental allowance for which period. In the application, you must specify for which months of your child's life you would like to apply for parental allowance and which parental allowance variant you choose.

The amount of parental allowance is calculated individually. The calculation is based on the income that you had before the birth and that disappears after the birth. If you had no income before the birth or if there is no income after the birth, you will receive a minimum amount. In the case of basic parental allowance, this is at least EUR 300.00 per month.

Tip: As an aid for planning and calculation, you can use the parental allowance calculator of the Federal Ministry for Family Affairs.

Process flow

The parental allowance must be applied for in writing after the birth of the child.

Information, explanations and applications as well as the parental allowance office responsible for the place of residence are also available on the website of the Lower Saxony Ministry of Social Affairs, Labour, Health and Equality.

Who should I contact?

In Lower Saxony, the responsibility lies with the districts, independent cities and the municipalities belonging to the region as well as in individual cases (on application) with large independent cities or independent municipalities in which your domicile or habitual residence is located. In cases of posting, secondment, transfer or secondment without residence in Germany, responsibility depends on your last place of residence in Germany or the registered office of the sending unit.


You can receive parental allowance if you meet the following requirements:

  • You look after and educate your child yourself,
  • You are resident in Germany or usually reside here,
  • You live with your child in a common household,
  • You are either not employed at all or usually do not work more than 32 hours per week,
    • With the limit of 32 hours per week, there are several special features, for example on vacation or when you study or do an apprenticeship.
  • Their taxable income did not exceed EUR 250,000. For parent couples, the limit is EUR 300,000.

Which documents are required?

  • Completed and signed application form
  • Birth certificate or birth certificate of your child

Depending on your individual situation, additional documents may be required. Further information can be found in the application documents or can be obtained directly from the responsible parental allowance office.

What are the fees?

There are no fees.

What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?

You can only apply for parental allowance after birth.

It is best to apply within the first 3 months of your child's life, because parental allowance is paid retroactively for a maximum of 3 months of life.

Processing duration

Information can be obtained from the responsible parental allowance office.

Applications / forms

Forms available: Yes

Written form required: Yes

Informal application possible: No

Personal appearance required: No

Online services available: partially (depending on the federal state)


  • Contradiction
    Further information on how to file an objection can be found in your parental allowance notice.
  • Action before the Social Court

Technically approved by

Lower Saxony Ministry of Social Affairs, Labour, Health and Equality

Professionally released on



The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

competent Bodies

Stadt Papenburg - Bürgerdienste Soziales
Address: Von-Galen-Str. 11, 26871 Aschendorf
Telephone: 04961 82-144
Building Access

Data protection information

Landkreis Emsland
Address: Ordeniederung 1 , 49716 Meppen
Postal address: Post Office Box 15 62 , 49705 Meppen
Telephone: 05931 44-0
Fax: 05931 44-3621
Transport Connection:
Station Haltestelle Kreishaus
Bus: 993

Building Access
elevator available, wheelchair-accessible
bank account:
recipients: Landkreis Emsland
bank: Emsländische Volksbank
IBAN: DE26266600600120050000
recipients: Landkreis Emsland
bank: Sparkasse Emsland
IBAN: DE39266500010000001339
recipients: Landkreis Emsland
bank: Postbank Hannover
IBAN: DE36250100300012132306


Marc-André Burgdorf
responsible for:
Bernd Otten (Datenschutzbeauftragter)
Telephone: 05931 44-1605
Fax: 05931 44-391605
responsible for:

Stadt Papenburg - Rechnungsprüfung
Postal address: Post Office Box 1755 , 26857 Papenburg
Address: Hauptkanal rechts 68/69, 26871 Papenburg
Telephone: 04961 82-320
Building Access
elevator available, wheelchair-accessible

Landesbeauftragte für den Datenschutz Niedersachsen
Address: Prinzenstraße 5, 30159 Hannover
Telephone: +49 511 12045-00
Fax: +49 511 12045-99

Source: Serviceportal Niedersachsen (Portalverbund des Bundes und der Länder)