Please enter a search term.

Your selected location: Nordhümmling

For an area outside of Lower Saxony and foreign languages, some menu items and functions are not available. Please go to the service page of the respective country.

Apply for orphan's pension from the Agricultural Pension Fund

You can get an orphan's pension if you were a natural or adopted child of the deceased person. The same applies if you lived in the person's household as a stepchild or foster child. You can also receive orphan's pension as a grandchild or sibling of the deceased person if you were included in his or her household or were mainly maintained by him or her.

The deceased person must have completed the minimum insurance period (waiting period) of 5 years.

You will receive the orphan's pension until you reach the age of 18.

Under certain conditions, you may be entitled to an orphan's pension for longer. At the longest, you can receive the orphan's pension until you reach the age of 27.

There are two types of orphans' pensions:

  • Half-orphan's pension: in the event that a dependent parent is still alive
  • full orphan's pension: in case no dependent parent is still alive

Your own income is not counted towards an orphan's pension.

Process flow

You can apply for the orphan's pension in writing or in person:
Written application:

  • Download the application and enclosure form for the orphan's pension on the website of the Social Insurance for Agriculture, Forestry and Horticulture (SVLFG). Fill it out completely and gather the required documents.
  • You can send your completed and signed application with the required documents by mail to your Landwirtschaftliche Alterskasse.
  • Your agricultural retirement fund will review your application. You will receive a written decision by mail or in your electronic mailbox at SVLFG.

Note: A person you trust can also submit your pension application on your behalf. To do so, please submit a corresponding power of attorney to your agricultural pension fund. As long as the power of attorney is valid, your Landwirtschaftliche Alterskasse will only contact your authorized person.

Submitting your application in person during the consultation:

  • Gather the documents you need to file your application and make an appointment at the Landwirtschaftliche Alterskasse or an SVLFG counseling center.
  • During your consultation, your pension application will be recorded.
  • Your Landwirtschaftliche Alterskasse will review your application. You will receive a written decision by mail or in your electronic mailbox at SVLFG.

Submitting your application online:

  • Go to the SVLFG online portal and log in.
  • Fill out the form and upload the necessary documents. Then submit your pension application online. You will receive the application as a PDF in the online mailbox.
  • Your agricultural pension fund will review your application. You will receive a written decision in your electronic mailbox at the SVLFG.


Surviving children receive an orphan's pension from the Agricultural Pension Fund if the deceased parent or parents have completed the minimum insurance period (waiting period) of 5 years.

  • The waiting period of 5 years takes into account all compulsory contributions as well as voluntary contributions paid or deemed to have been paid to the Agricultural Old Age Fund. Contributions for periods before 01.01.1995 are generally only taken into account if there are no gaps.
  • The waiting period of 5 years is fulfilled early if the insured person died as a result of an accident at work or an occupational disease (insured event) and was subject to compulsory insurance at that time.
  • If a pension equalization was carried out in favor of the deceased, the transferred entitlement is converted into waiting period months.

Periods from other pension schemes:

  • Periods from other pension schemes, for example, periods in the statutory pension insurance scheme, can also be counted towards the waiting period if the deceased paid contributions to the Landwirtschaftliche Alterskasse (LAK) for at least one month.
  • If the foreign periods overlap with those of the agricultural pension fund, the foreign periods cannot be credited at the same time.
    • This also applies if the deceased was exempt from compulsory insurance to the LAK as an entrepreneur during the same period.
    • An exemption from compulsory insurance as an assisting family member, on the other hand, does not prevent third-party periods completed during this time from being credited.

The following periods can be credited:

  • Compulsory contribution periods in the statutory German pension insurance and equivalent periods in the social insurance of the former GDR,
  • Periods of exemption from insurance in the statutory pension insurance, for example as a
    • civil servant
    • judge
    • professional or temporary soldier
    • other person covered by civil service pension insurance,
  • periods of exemption from compulsory insurance in the statutory pension insurance, for example
    • employees and self-employed persons who belong to a professional pension scheme
    • teachers and educators at private schools, if they are covered in the same way as civil servants
    • certain foreign periods under supranational and intergovernmental law.

You are entitled to an orphan's pension if you:

  • are a natural or adopted child of the deceased,
  • are a stepchild or foster child who was included in the household of the deceased, and
  • are a grandchild or sibling who was included in the household of the deceased or was mainly maintained by him/her,

if you:

  • are not yet 18 years of age, or
  • are not yet 27 years old and
  • Are in school or vocational training of more than 20 hours per week,
  • are doing voluntary service, or
  • are unable to care for themselves because of a physical, mental or emotional disability.

An orphan's pension may also be paid for transitional periods of no more than 4 calendar months, for example between 2 apprenticeships.

An extended orphan's pension entitlement may arise beyond the age of 27, for example due to prior completion of voluntary military service during the probationary period.

Which documents are required?

  • Valid identity card or passport
  • Birth or parentage certificate of the child
  • Death certificate of the deceased parent
  • If applying for an orphan's pension for an adult orphan:
    • Proof of school or vocational training or
    • Proof of completion of voluntary service
  • In case of application by other persons:
    • Power of attorney or
    • Order of the court

Applications / forms

Forms available: Yes
Written form required: Yes
Informal application possible: Yes
Personal appearance required: No
Online services available: Yes


An appeal against the orphan's pension decision can be lodged within one month (3 months abroad) of its notification. If the appeal is unsuccessful, there is the possibility of an action before the social court.

What else should I know?

If there is an accident insurance case (for example, an occupational accident), an orphan's pension can also be paid from the accident insurance. Different conditions and calculation bases apply.

Technically approved by

Federal Ministry of Labor and Social Affairs (BMAS)

Professionally released on



The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

competent Bodies

Sozialversicherung für Landwirtschaft, Forsten und Gartenbau (SVLFG)
Address: Weißensteinstraße 70-72, 34131 Kassel, documenta-Stadt
Postal address: 34001 Kassel, documenta-Stadt
Telephone: +49 561 785-0
Fax: +49 561 785219006

Data protection information

Landkreis Emsland
Address: Ordeniederung 1 , 49716 Meppen
Postal address: Post Office Box 15 62 , 49705 Meppen
Telephone: 05931 44-0
Fax: 05931 44-3621
Transport Connection:
Station Haltestelle Kreishaus
Bus: 993

Building Access
elevator available, wheelchair-accessible
bank account:
recipients: Landkreis Emsland
bank: Emsländische Volksbank
IBAN: DE26266600600120050000
recipients: Landkreis Emsland
bank: Sparkasse Emsland
IBAN: DE39266500010000001339
recipients: Landkreis Emsland
bank: Postbank Hannover
IBAN: DE36250100300012132306


Marc-André Burgdorf
responsible for:
Bernd Otten (Datenschutzbeauftragter)
Telephone: 05931 44-1605
Fax: 05931 44-391605
responsible for:

Landesbeauftragte für den Datenschutz Niedersachsen
Address: Prinzenstraße 5, 30159 Hannover
Telephone: +49 511 12045-00
Fax: +49 511 12045-99

Source: Serviceportal Niedersachsen (Portalverbund des Bundes und der Länder)