Please enter a search term.

Your selected location: Emsland

For an area outside of Lower Saxony and foreign languages, some menu items and functions are not available. Please go to the service page of the respective country.

Apply for an extension of the residence permit for conditional admission to study or part-time study

A residence permit for the purpose of fulfilling conditions prior to commencing studies in Germany is a temporary residence permit that can be extended.

You can apply for an extension of the residence permit if you do not yet meet the conditions for taking up full-time studies or completing part-time studies, but you can still achieve this goal within a reasonable period of time.

The same conditions apply to the extension of the residence permit as to the issuance of the residence permit. In particular, your livelihood should be secured for the duration of your studies.

When deciding on the extension of your residence permit, the Foreigners' Registration Office may obtain and take into account statements from the university or other institutions approved for training or further education in matters relating to the study requirements, the course of study, the degree and other academic matters.

In the event of an extension, your residence permit will be limited again.

If you have not yet reached the age of 18, the persons entitled to personal care must agree to your further stay in Germany.

As a rule, the residence permit cannot be extended if this was already excluded by the Foreigners' Registration Office when the residence permit was issued or last extended.

Process flow

  • Find out whether your Foreigners' Registration Office allows you to apply online or has a special application form.
  • If you have not yet reached the age of 18, you are not allowed to submit the application yourself, but need a representative (as a rule, the application is made by the parents with custody).
  • If the application is only possible in person, make an appointment at the Foreigners' Registration Office. In the case of an online application, the Foreigners' Registration Office will contact you after receipt of your application to make an appointment.
  • If you have not yet reached the age of 18, you must be accompanied by at least one representative during the personal interview. If the parents with custody are unable to appear in person, a written power of attorney must be provided for the application.
  • During the appointment, your identity and documents will be checked (please bring your documents, if possible in the original, with you to the appointment).
  • If your application is granted, your fingerprints will be taken in the form of a new electronic residence permit (eAT card) for the production of the residence permit.
  • The Foreigners' Registration Office commissions the production of the eAT card from Bundesdruckerei. After completion, you will receive information and can pick up the eAT card from the responsible office. The eAT card must always be picked up in person. If your application is rejected, you will receive a rejection notice.

Who should I contact?

The immigration authority responsible for the applicant's place of residence is responsible for processing the application.


In principle, the same conditions must be met for the extension of the residence permit as for the first issuance of the residence permit. That is:

  • You would like to continue to stay in Germany in order to take up full-time studies after fulfilling a condition, to study part-time or to take part in a preparatory language course or internship in preparation for a course of study.
  • You can secure your livelihood and health insurance coverage for the rest of your stay from your own resources without using public services.
  • There is no interest in expulsion against you.
  • Their stay does not endanger or impair the interests of the Federal Republic of Germany.

Which documents are required?

In principle, the extension of your residence permit requires the submission of the same documents as for the first issue:

  • Recognized and valid identity document (e.g. passport or passport substitute)
  • Up-to-date biometric photo in the passport (45 x 35 mm)
  • Proof of securing a livelihood (e.g. from one's own assets, payment of a security deposit into a blocked account, bank guarantee, declaration of commitment, scholarship, proof of receipt of benefits such as parents or child benefit, proof of parents' income or similar)
  • Proof of health insurance coverage (e.g. confirmation of health insurance coverage or insurance policy)
  • Proof of the status of fulfilment of the conditions for admission to a course of study (it should be made clear that the conditions can be fulfilled within a reasonable period of time)
  • In the case of minors: consent of all persons with custody to the planned stay (declaration of consent); if the parents with custody are unable to submit the application jointly for their child, a written power of attorney from the absent parent is required; if custody is granted to only one parent, the signature of that parent is sufficient

The documents and information must always be submitted in German. In individual cases, the Foreigners' Registration Office may require less or more evidence.

If necessary, you may have to submit proof of enrolment, conditional admission to studies or admission to a preparatory language course or internship to the Foreigners' Registration Office.

What are the fees?

  • 96.00 euros for a further stay of up to three months for adult applicants
  • EUR 48.00 for a further stay of up to three months for underage applicants
  • 93.00 euros for a further stay of more than three months for adult applicants
  • EUR 46.50 for a further stay of more than three months for underage applicants


Additional fees may apply for the issuance of a new residence permit in the form of an electronic residence permit (eAT card), which can also be used as electronic proof of identity.

The timing and form of fee collection and payment vary depending on the authority.

In certain cases, fee reductions or exemptions may be considered (e.g. for persons entitled to asylum or recognised refugees). Lower fees may apply for Turkish nationals.

What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?

Application deadline:

6 weeks to 8 weeks

Note (for more information on validity):

The extension of the residence permit must be applied for before the validity of the current residence permit ends. The application should be received by the Foreigners' Registration Office at least six to eight weeks before the expiry of the residence permit.


1 year to 2 years

Note (for more information on the deadline):

The residence permit is extended for at least one year and usually for two years.

In the case of participation in a Union or multilateral programme with mobility measures (e.g. ERASMUS+ programme of the European Union) or if the foreigner is subject to an agreement between two or more higher education institutions, the residence permit will be extended for at least two years.

If the course lasts less than two years, it will be extended by the duration of the study.

As a rule, a stay of ten years is considered an upper limit for the length of stay.

Processing duration

approx. 6 weeks to 8 weeks

Note for further information on processing time:

The processing time may vary depending on the workload of the Foreigners' Registration Office.

It takes about 4 to 6 weeks for Bundesdruckerei to produce the electronic residence permit.

Applications / forms

Forms available: No

Written form required: No

Informal application possible: Yes

Personal appearance required: Yes


  • An action against a negative decision of the Foreigners' Registration Office can be brought before the competent administrative court.
  • A preliminary procedure (opposition) does not take place in Lower Saxony.
  • Detailed information can be found in the negative decision.

What else should I know?

  • You are not entitled to a residence permit. It is at the discretion of the Foreigners' Registration Office to grant the residence permit.
  • The residence permit entitles the holder to work during the holiday season and to carry out the internship. This restriction is usually included in the title as an ancillary provision.
  • Preparation for studies includes, in particular, German courses as well as attendance at preparatory colleges or similar institutions.
  • The procedure at the Foreigners' Registration Office is usually carried out in German.
  • All information provided to the Foreigners' Registration Office should be correct and complete to the best of our knowledge and belief so that the request can be processed without major delays.
  • Incorrect or incomplete information can slow down the procedure and be detrimental to the persons concerned. In the event of an emergency, incorrect or incomplete information that is not completed or corrected in time vis-à-vis the Foreigners' Registration Office may result in the revocation of residence rights already granted, a fine, imprisonment of up to three years or expulsion from the federal territory.
  • Due to the complexity of the right of residence, this description is for information purposes only and is not legally binding.

Technically approved by

Lower Saxony Ministry of the Interior and Sport

Professionally released on



The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

Data protection information

Landesbeauftragte für den Datenschutz Niedersachsen
Address: Prinzenstraße 5, 30159 Hannover
Telephone: +49 511 12045-00
Fax: +49 511 12045-99

Source: Serviceportal Niedersachsen (Portalverbund des Bundes und der Länder)