Please enter a search term.

Your selected location: Emsland

For an area outside of Lower Saxony and foreign languages, some menu items and functions are not available. Please go to the service page of the respective country.

Assistance to overcome particular social difficulties

Special social difficulties arise from the combination of special living conditions with social difficulties that cannot be overcome independently by those affected.

Special living conditions may be (according to § 1 Abs. 2 of the regulation according to § 69 SGB XII):

  • an insecure economic livelihood,
  • non-existent housing or inadequate housing conditions,
  • violent living conditions,
  • discharge from a closed facility,
  • comparable adverse circumstances.

The aim of the aid is to enable affected persons to cope independently in everyday life according to their possibilities and to enable integration into society.

Persons who have found themselves in such difficult living conditions involving particular social difficulties that they are unable to overcome them on their own are entitled to this assistance. The particularly difficult living conditions or social difficulties must be clearly distinguished by a particular degree of severity from the general life crises such as unemployment, illness, marital disagreements and the like.

The benefits of assistance to overcome special social difficulties are subordinate to the benefits of other social service providers / rehabilitation providers as well as other provisions of SGB XII (social assistance), insofar as these fully cover the need.

In the case of assistance to overcome special social difficulties, notwithstanding the principle of the subordination of social assistance, the crediting of income and assets is waived insofar as services are required in individual cases.

Assistance shall include all necessary measures to overcome the particular difficulties which prevent integration into society. These include in particular:

  • Advice and personal support for those seeking help and for their relatives,
  • assistance in finding an apartment,
  • measures to obtain a job, and
  • Assistance in coping with everyday life.

The above services are provided in particular by outpatient assistance, such as

  • Day stays,
  • Outpatient assistance
  • Transitional housing and - insofar as these outpatient measures are not sufficient - through inpatient housing offers.  

Who should I contact?

Applications for assistance to overcome special social difficulties should be submitted to the social welfare office of the district or the independent city in whose district you live and/or are cared for.

Persons who live and/or are cared for in the cities of Celle, Göttingen, Hanover, Hildesheim, Lingen/ Ems, the state capital Hannover or the Hanseatic city of Lüneburg should submit their applications to the social welfare offices of these cities, whose addresses can also be found via the link provided.

If you belong to the group of persons entitled to claim under SGB II, please secure your claims in this regard, which take precedence over social assistance, by applying immediately - in particular for benefits to secure your livelihood.  

Should you require further information or assistance, the receiving institution or service will also be happy to provide you with comprehensive information and assistance.  


The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

competent Bodies

Landkreis Emsland - Fachbereich Soziales
Address: Ordeniederung 1 , 49716 Meppen
Postal address: Post Office Box 15 62 , 49705 Meppen
Telephone: 05931 44-0
Fax: 05931 44-3621
Transport Connection:
Station Haltestelle Kreishaus
Bus: 993

Building Access
elevator available, wheelchair-accessible


Andrea Dankelmann
Telephone: 05931 44-4266
F 266
responsible for:

Data protection information

Landesbeauftragte für den Datenschutz Niedersachsen
Address: Prinzenstraße 5, 30159 Hannover
Telephone: +49 511 12045-00
Fax: +49 511 12045-99

Source: Serviceportal Niedersachsen (Portalverbund des Bundes und der Länder)