Please enter a search term.

Your selected location: Emsland

For an area outside of Lower Saxony and foreign languages, some menu items and functions are not available. Please go to the service page of the respective country.

Road signs and traffic facilities: modification

Traffic signs (VZ for short) and traffic facilities are used to regulate traffic. They are ordered by the authorities and are to be observed by the road user on his own responsibility. Traffic signs include traffic signs, road markings, lighting displays, as well as signs from traffic posts. Traffic facilities include barriers, barrier posts, parking meters, parking ticket machines, railings, barriers, guidance devices as well as flashing lights and traffic lights ("traffic lights").

Any installation, modification or removal of traffic signs or traffic facilities requires a traffic authority order from the competent authority.

Traffic signs and traffic facilities can be divided into the following groups of traffic signs according to the Road Traffic Regulations (StVO):

  • Signs and instructions of police officers (§ 36 StVO)
  • Alternating light signs, continuous light signs and green arrow (§ 37 StVO)
  • Blue flashing light and yellow flashing light (§ 38 StVO)
  • Traffic signs (§ 39 StVO)
  • Danger signs (§ 40 StVO)
  • Regulation sign (§ 41 StVO)
  • Directional sign (§ 42 StVO)
  • Traffic facilities (§ 43 StVO)

Who should I contact?

The responsibility lies with the district, the district-free city, the large independent city and the independent municipality.

The responsibility is laid down in the Ordinance on Responsibilities in the Field of Transport (ZustVO-Verkehr).

Which documents are required?

Documents may be required. Please contact the competent authority.

What are the fees?

Fees may apply, please contact the competent authority.

What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?

There are no deadlines to be observed.

Applications / forms

An application can be submitted informally. It must contain a detailed justification.

What else should I know?

The responsible authorities are grateful for information on poor, unrecognizable, misleading or incorrect signage and/or markings as well as suggestions for improvement.

Traffic signs and traffic facilities are installed, maintained and removed by the carriers of the road construction load.

the Lower Saxony State Authority for Road Construction and Transport Administration for

  • Motorways
  • Federal highways (exception: local thoroughfares in cities with more than 80,000 inhabitants)
  • State roads (exception: local thoroughfares in cities with more than 30,000 inhabitants)
  • County roads

The municipalities belonging to the district are responsible for the road construction burden for the roads on their territory.


Text checked by the AG Kommunenredaktion


The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

competent Bodies

Landkreis Emsland - Fachbereich Straßenverkehr
Address: Ordeniederung 1 , 49716 Meppen
Postal address: Post Office Box 15 62 , 49705 Meppen
Telephone: 05931 44-0
Fax: 05931 44-3621
Transport Connection:
Station Haltestelle Kreishaus
Bus: 993

Building Access
elevator available, wheelchair-accessible


Martin Korte
Telephone: 05931 44-4046
K II, 46
responsible for:

Data protection information

Landesbeauftragte für den Datenschutz Niedersachsen
Address: Prinzenstraße 5, 30159 Hannover
Telephone: +49 511 12045-00
Fax: +49 511 12045-99

Source: Serviceportal Niedersachsen (Portalverbund des Bundes und der Länder)