Please enter a search term.

Your selected location: Emsland

For an area outside of Lower Saxony and foreign languages, some menu items and functions are not available. Please go to the service page of the respective country.

Residence Registration as main residence

The new Federal Registration Act will enter into force on 1 November 2015.

Anyone who moves into an apartment must register with the competent authority within two weeks.

Comply with your reporting obligation to avoid unnecessary problems and trouble. In the case of violation of the reporting obligation, problems arise, for example, with vehicle registration, obtaining a driver's license or applying for a certificate of good conduct.

In addition, your identity card and, if applicable, your vehicle registration document must also be changed.

Who should I contact?

The responsibility lies with the municipality, the Joint Community and the city to which you have moved.

Which documents are required?

  • Identity card and/or passport as proof of identity and to change housing details
  • Confirmation of landlord
  • The following data or documents are additionally required for:
    • Persons arriving from abroad:
      • the last residential address in Germany (confirmation of registration, day of moving in and out)
    • persons cared for:
      • written power of attorney or supervisor ID
    • Persons who  cannot appear themselves:
      • written power of attorney and identity documents of the person to be registered

What are the fees?

There are no fees. Late reports exceeding the reporting deadline of 2 weeks can be punished with a fine.

What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?

Registration must be made within 2 weeks of moving into the apartment.

Processing duration

Registrations are usually processed immediately. You will receive a free confirmation of your registration.


The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

Data protection information

Landesbeauftragte für den Datenschutz Niedersachsen
Address: Prinzenstraße 5, 30159 Hannover
Telephone: +49 511 12045-00
Fax: +49 511 12045-99

Source: Serviceportal Niedersachsen (Portalverbund des Bundes und der Länder)