Please enter a search term.

Your selected location: Emsland

For an area outside of Lower Saxony and foreign languages, some menu items and functions are not available. Please go to the service page of the respective country.

Request participation in social group work

Participation in social group work is intended to help older children and adolescents overcome developmental and behavioral problems.

Social group work can be useful for children and young people if they

  • repeatedly get into violent confrontations,
  • have little self-confidence and behave conspicuously,
  • cannot hold their own.

In the social group work, older children and young people meet regularly under the guidance of trained pedagogical staff.

Social group work encourages social learning. In doing so, it conveys positive experiences, experiences and insights, thus promoting respect for others and one's own self-confidence. In this way, the young person should become a self-reliant and community-oriented personality.

Objectives and content depend on the topic of social group work. Contents can be:

  • development of group dynamics,
  • Recognize the triggers of one's own anger and aggression,
  • perceiving and expressing one's own feelings,
  • perceiving and recognising one's own and others' boundaries,
  • Resolving conflicts peacefully.

It is a type of educational aid. It may also apply to young adults.

Process flow

  • Please contact the responsible Youth Welfare Office.
  • In a personal conversation, you will be shown possible help. This can be, for example, participating in a social group work for your child.
  • If this assistance is eligible, then submit an application for educational assistance.
  • All parties involved (you, your child, the pedagogical specialist and the Youth Welfare Office) meet for a help plan discussion. The aid plan specifies how the aid is to be structured and what objectives are to be achieved.
  • The Youth Welfare Office organizes a place in a group.

Who should I contact?

To the local youth office


  • You are the parent or guardian of a child (the person with custody)
  • You can't make sure that the child is okay.
  • Assistance through participation in social group work is appropriate and necessary.

Which documents are required?

  • Identity card
  • If applicable: Proof of custody, for example birth certificate, information from the custody register or order of the family court on custody.

Technically approved by

Lower Saxony Ministry of Social Affairs, Labour, Health and Equality


The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

Data protection information

Landesbeauftragte für den Datenschutz Niedersachsen
Address: Prinzenstraße 5, 30159 Hannover
Telephone: +49 511 12045-00
Fax: +49 511 12045-99

Source: Serviceportal Niedersachsen (Portalverbund des Bundes und der Länder)