Please enter a search term.

Your selected location: Emsland

For an area outside of Lower Saxony and foreign languages, some menu items and functions are not available. Please go to the service page of the respective country.

Private trips abroad with pets (dogs, cats, ferrets)

If you want to take your pet with you on a trip abroad or if you want to import a pet purchased abroad into Germany, you must observe various regulations.

For travel within the European Union, dogs, cats and ferrets need an EU pet passport.

The pet passport must be clearly identifiable to the animal. For this purpose, the animal must be marked with a transponder (microchip). The number of the transponder is then entered in the EU pet passport.

The EU pet passport must also contain veterinary proof that the animal has a valid rabies vaccination protection.

It should be noted that the vaccination can be carried out at the earliest from the age of 12 weeks and that valid vaccination protection does not exist until 21 days after vaccination.

The validity period of the vaccination is entered by the veterinarian in the EU pet passport. Revaccination must be given before the expiry of the validity period. If the revaccination takes place later, a waiting period of 21 days must be observed again after the vaccination before a valid rabies vaccination protection exists.

The EU pet passport can be issued by authorised veterinarians in private practice. They also carry out the identification of the animal and the rabies vaccination.

Certain Member States also require animals to be treated against certain parasites. This treatment can also be carried out by the veterinarian in private practice.

When entering or re-entering dogs, cats and ferrets from countries outside the European Union, additional requirements must be observed in some cases. With regard to the valid rabies vaccination protection, this applies in particular to entry or re-entry from so-called non-listed third countries.

Further information can be found on the homepage of the Federal Ministry of Food and Agriculture under the following link:

Before travelling abroad, it is essential that the animal is presented to a veterinarian in good time so that any vaccinations, examinations or treatments that may be required can be carried out on time.

The above requirements only apply to private travel with pets without a commercial background. If 5 or more dogs, cats or ferrets are carried during travel or if the animal changes ownership, this is considered a commercial transfer or a commercial import. In this case, there are other requirements to consider.

Veterinarians in private practice authorised by the municipal veterinary authority

Documents may be required. Please contact the competent authority.

The cost of the EU pet passport is calculated according to the current fee schedule for veterinarians. For evt. required export certifications are charged fees according to the Schedule of Fees for the Veterinary Administration (GOVet).

Deadlines may have to be observed. Please contact the competent authority.

Text reviewed by the Lower Saxony Ministry of Food, Agriculture, Consumer Protection and Regional Development

The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

competent Bodies

Landkreis Emsland - Fachbereich Veterinärwesen und Verbraucherschutz
Address: Ordeniederung 1 , 49716 Meppen
Postal address: Post Office Box 15 62 , 49705 Meppen
Telephone: 05931 44-0
Fax: 05931 44-3621
Transport Connection:
Station Haltestelle Kreishaus
Bus: 993

Building Access
elevator available, wheelchair-accessible


Stefanie Hackmann
Telephone: 05931 44-3164
C 164
responsible for:

Data protection information

Landesbeauftragte für den Datenschutz Niedersachsen
Address: Prinzenstraße 5, 30159 Hannover
Telephone: +49 511 12045-00
Fax: +49 511 12045-99

Source: Serviceportal Niedersachsen (Portalverbund des Bundes und der Länder)