Please enter a search term.

Your selected location: Emsland

For an area outside of Lower Saxony and foreign languages, some menu items and functions are not available. Please go to the service page of the respective country.

Motor vehicle notification technical change

Certain technical changes must be assessed immediately by the Technical Inspection Centre or an officially recognised inspection organisation (DEKRA, GTÜ, KÜS, TÜV):

  • Change of vehicle type
  • Change of displacement or power
  • Increase of the maximum speed determined by the design
  • Reduction of the maximum speed determined by the design if it is relevant to the licence or if tyres of lower speed classes are to be used
  • Modification of permissible axle loads, maximum weight, payload, fifth wheel, resting or trailer load
  • Increase in vehicle dimensions, except for cars and motorcycles
  • Change in the number of seats, berths or standing places for buses and coaches
  • Changes in exhaust or noise values if they affect vehicle tax or traffic bans

These technical modifications must be entered in the vehicle documents by the competent authority.

Process flow

The vehicle was presented to a technically competent person (e.g. TÜV, DEKRA, GTÜ, KÜS, SAVAG) and the modification was examined. If the change does not have to be entered in the papers, this is noted on the TÜV report.

The application shall be submitted to the competent body in person or by a person authorised in writing.

Who should I contact?

The responsibility lies with the district, with the district-free city and with the municipality, joint municipality and city entrusted with this task.

The main residence according to the identity card is decisive. In the case of legal persons, this is the registered office of the main establishment or the registered office of the branch.


  • Vehicle is already registered
  • technical changes have been made
    • e.g. by attaching a towbar, reducing the performance of the motorcycle or similar
    • A technical change is also present if a conversion of the vehicle is to take place, because it meets a higher emission standard than is entered in the current registration documents since the day of the first registration according to a manufacturer's certificate to be submitted.
  • Presentation of the vehicle to an officially recognised expert, who confirms the proper installation, attachment or removal by means of an expert opinion

Which documents are required?

  • in case of technical change
    • Registration certificate Part II
    • Registration certificate Part I
    • Expert report or operating permit of the parts manufacturer (e.g. TÜV, DEKRA, KÜS)
    • Confirmation of acceptance from an approved testing organization (e.g. TÜV, DEKRA, GTÜ, KÜS, GTS)
    • Proof of the main inspection (HU)
    • in case of change of vehicle type additionally new insurance confirmation 
  • when changing the pollutant class
    • Registration certificate Part II
    • Registration certificate Part I
    • Certificate of installation from the workshop
    • Type-approval of the installed exhaust gas cleaning system
  • when retrofitting the catalytic converter (KAT)
    • Registration certificate Part II
    • Registration certificate Part I
    • Installation certificate for the KAT and the general operating permit (ABE) of the KAT

What are the fees?

Fees apply. Please contact the relevant authority.

What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?

Deadlines may have to be observed. Please contact the competent authority.

Applications / forms

Depending on the offer of the responsible body, a notification form is available for download.

  • SEPA-Lastschriftmandat (ausfüllbar)

  • SEPA-Lastschriftmandat, gültig ab 24.03.2014

  • Vollmacht zur Fahrzeugzulassung - NEU

  • Zulassung: Info - SEPA


What else should I know?

Before installation or conversion, ask an officially recognised expert for motor vehicle traffic or a test engineer from a monitoring organisation whether the operating licence is impaired or whether the modification can be approved at all.

Technically approved by

AG Kommunenredaktion


The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

competent Bodies

Landkreis Emsland - Fachbereich Straßenverkehr
Address: Ordeniederung 1 , 49716 Meppen
Postal address: Post Office Box 15 62 , 49705 Meppen
Telephone: 05931 44-0
Fax: 05931 44-3621
Transport Connection:
Station Haltestelle Kreishaus
Bus: 993

Building Access
elevator available, wheelchair-accessible


Reiner Egbring
Telephone: 05931 44-4004
K II, 4
responsible for:

Data protection information

Landesbeauftragte für den Datenschutz Niedersachsen
Address: Prinzenstraße 5, 30159 Hannover
Telephone: +49 511 12045-00
Fax: +49 511 12045-99

Source: Serviceportal Niedersachsen (Portalverbund des Bundes und der Länder)