Please enter a search term.

Your selected location: Emsland

For an area outside of Lower Saxony and foreign languages, some menu items and functions are not available. Please go to the service page of the respective country.

Apply for re-registration of your motor vehicle (without change of owner)

As a vehicle owner, you re-register your vehicle to a new address and apply for a new vehicle registration number if you change your residence to another municipality.

A re-designation (assignment of a new number plate) can be dispensed with if a change of vehicle takes place within registration areas in which the same distinguishing plates are used. This only applies to the cities and districts or the regions of Göttingen, Hanover, Oldenburg and Osnabrück. An extension of the waiver of relabelling to other areas of approval is currently not planned.

The obligation regulated in the Vehicle Registration Ordinance to re-label when the vehicle owner changes residence to another registration area was abolished on 01.01.2015. When changing residence within the federal territory, vehicle owners can now decide for themselves whether they want to continue using the previous number plate or have a new one allocated. It should be noted that the obligation to notify the competent authority of the change of residence remains in place and that an amendment to the registration certificate Part I (vehicle registration document) is still required.

Process flow

If you are already in possession of the registration certificate Part II and there is still room for registration, the change will be made there. If you still have a vehicle registration document, a new registration certificate Part II will be issued. In any case, you will receive a new registration certificate Part I. An entry in the registration certificate Part II only takes place when changing license plates and "old" vehicle registration documents and vehicle registration documents can be retained. There is no need to exchange for registration certificate Part I and registration certificate Part II.

Who should I contact?

The responsibility lies with the district, with the district-free city and with the municipality, joint municipality and city entrusted with this task.

The main residence according to the identity card is decisive. In the case of legal persons, this is the registered office of the main establishment or the registered office of the branch.


  • Already completed residence registration or residence re-registration

Which documents are required?

  • Identity card or passport with current confirmation of registration maximum 3 months old
  • Registration certificate Part I
  • in case of re-registration with allocation of a new number plate: registration certificate Part II
  • valid test report of the last main inspection (HU)
  • previous license plate(s)
  • Electronic insurance confirmation (eVB) according to § 23 Fahrzeug-Zulassungsverordnung (FZV)
  • If applicable, reservation confirmation for the desired license plate
  • SEPA direct debit mandate for the collection of motor vehicle tax
    • This must be submitted in writing in the original signed by the holder upon admission, also by third parties. In the event of a different account holder, this mandate must be signed in the original by the holder and the account holder. The bank details provided must be proven.
    • Alternative:
      • a certificate stating that the Hauptzollamt waives the collection of vehicle tax, or
      • Proof of exemption

in the case of execution by third parties additionally:

  • informal, written authorisation of the applicant and identity card of the person for whom the vehicle is to be registered

for companies additionally:

  • Excerpt from the trade register or commercial register
  • the identity papers of the responsible person authorised to sign (managing director, authorised signatory) and their power of attorney

You will receive the insurance confirmation of the motor vehicle liability insurance from the insurance company of your choice. In most cases, you can request the insurance confirmation by calling your insurance company.

What are the fees?

Fees apply. Please contact the relevant authority.

What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?

The re-registration of your vehicle must take place immediately.

Applications / forms

The application for admission must be submitted by the holder or a person authorised in writing. If applications/forms are necessary, you can obtain them in advance from the responsible office and fill them out at home.

  • SEPA-Lastschriftmandat (ausfüllbar)

  • SEPA-Lastschriftmandat, gültig ab 24.03.2014

  • Vollmacht zur Fahrzeugzulassung - NEU

  • Zulassung: Info - SEPA


What else should I know?

New license plates can be produced during the re-registration by private providers, who are usually located near the responsible office. The cost of the signs is not included in the fees. The number plates are then provided by the competent authority with stickers for the main inspection (HU) and the registration district.

Information for the reservation of a desired license plate is contained in the service "License plate: Reservation – Desired license plate".

Technically approved by

AG Kommunenredaktion


The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

competent Bodies

Landkreis Emsland - Fachbereich Straßenverkehr
Address: Ordeniederung 1 , 49716 Meppen
Postal address: Post Office Box 15 62 , 49705 Meppen
Telephone: 05931 44-0
Fax: 05931 44-3621
Transport Connection:
Station Haltestelle Kreishaus
Bus: 993

Building Access
elevator available, wheelchair-accessible


Reiner Egbring
Telephone: 05931 44-4004
K II, 4
responsible for:

Data protection information

Landesbeauftragte für den Datenschutz Niedersachsen
Address: Prinzenstraße 5, 30159 Hannover
Telephone: +49 511 12045-00
Fax: +49 511 12045-99

Source: Serviceportal Niedersachsen (Portalverbund des Bundes und der Länder)