Please enter a search term.

Your selected location: Emsland

For an area outside of Lower Saxony and foreign languages, some menu items and functions are not available. Please go to the service page of the respective country.

Vehicle Registration Number, Allocation Tax-Exempt

Certain vehicles exempt from road tax have registration plates with green lettering and a green border on a white background. This includes non-profit vehicles, agricultural and forestry vehicles, and certain trailers.

Process flow

The application for a green number plate must be submitted to the competent authority when the vehicle is registered. The green license plate remains on the vehicle until it is taken out of service (deregistration) or re-registered to another registration district.

Who should I contact?

The responsibility lies with the district and the district-free city in which you reside.

In this case, the main residence according to the identity card is decisive. In the case of legal entities, it is the registered office of the principal place of business or the seat of the branch.

Which documents are required?

  • Valid identity card or passport with current confirmation of registration – not older than 3 months
  • Registration Certificate Part I
  • Registration Certificate Part II
  • Valid test report of the last general inspection (HU)
  • previous license plates (not for decommissionedvehicles)
  • Confirmation of insurance in accordance with § 23 of the Vehicle Registration Ordinance (FZV)
  • If applicable, reservation confirmation for the desired license plate

in the case of third-party processing, additionally:

  • informal, written power of attorney of the applicant and identity card of the person for whom the vehicle is to be registered

In the case of companies, additionally:

  • Excerpt from the trade register or commercial register
  • the identity documents of the responsible person authorised to sign (managing director, authorised signatory) as well as their power of attorney

in the case of underage vehicle owners, additionally:

  • Declaration of consent and signature of both parents
  • their ID cards

if the vehicle was taken out of service or removed before 1 October 2005:

  • Certificate of deregistration

In individual cases, the documents may have to be supplemented by further evidence – especially because of the tax exemption sought. For more information, please contact the competent authority.

What are the fees?

Fees apply, please contact the relevant authority.

What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?

Deadlines may have to be observed. Please contact the competent authority.

Applications / forms

If an application form is necessary, it can be obtained in advance from the competent authority and filled out at home. Depending on the offer of the competent authority, the application can also be submitted as an online service via the Internet.

What else should I know?

If the conditions for a green number plate are no longer met, a motor vehicle tax can be assessed by the main customs office. From this point on, the green license plate is invalid and must be changed to black.

If you would like to reserve a license plate of your choice, this can be done in person, in writing or by telephone as well as as as an online service via the Internet, depending on the offer of the responsible authority, even before the new registration.

Technically approved by

WG Municipal Editorial Office


The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

competent Bodies

Landkreis Emsland - Fachbereich Straßenverkehr
Address: Ordeniederung 1 , 49716 Meppen
Postal address: Post Office Box 15 62 , 49705 Meppen
Telephone: 05931 44-0
Fax: 05931 44-3621
Transport Connection:
Station Haltestelle Kreishaus
Bus: 993

Building Access
elevator available, wheelchair-accessible


Reiner Egbring
Telephone: 05931 44-4004
K II, 4
responsible for:

Data protection information

Landesbeauftragte für den Datenschutz Niedersachsen
Address: Prinzenstraße 5, 30159 Hannover
Telephone: +49 511 12045-00
Fax: +49 511 12045-99

Source: Serviceportal Niedersachsen (Portalverbund des Bundes und der Länder)