Please enter a search term.

Your selected location: Emsland

For an area outside of Lower Saxony and foreign languages, some menu items and functions are not available. Please go to the service page of the respective country.

Registration of a used motor vehicle from an EU country

The registration of a vehicle that has already been registered in the EU or EEA is possible upon application. Approval is granted by the competent licensing authority. If you buy a new or used vehicle abroad or move to Germany with a vehicle registered to you abroad, you must apply for registration for this vehicle.
The registration of a vehicle that was previously registered abroad is more complex compared to a new registration or transfer, as more documents are required.

Competent authority

The responsibility lies with the local licensing authorities of the districts and independent cities.

• in the case of natural persons, the authority of the vehicle owner's place of residence (main residence according to the identity card),
• in the case of legal persons, traders and self-employed persons with a fixed place of business or public authorities, the authority of the registered office or place of the branch or department involved.

Which documents are required?

  • Completed application forms, if applicable
  • Valid identification document (identity card or passport of the vehicle owner; if the passport is presented, also a current registration certificate)
  • possibly foreign vehicle documents,
  • foreign license plates (if available)
  • Purchase Contract/Invoice
  • CoC papers (incl. pollutant class / emission code) or if not available: expert opinion according to § 21 StVZO
  • Electronic insurance confirmation (eVB)
  • Bank details for vehicle tax (SEPA direct debit mandate)
  • Proof of inspection according to § 29 StVZO (usually main and exhaust gas inspection)

Further information can be obtained from your local licensing authority.

If necessary, further documents, e.g.:

  • if represented by a third party: your written power of attorney and your identity document (original); the authorised representative must be able to identify himself with his valid identity card/passport.
  • in the case of admission to minors: the written declaration of consent of the legal guardians and their identity cards (in the original); If applicable, a certificate of sole custody (so-called "negative certificate") for single parents

What are the fees?

The fee is levied in accordance with the Schedule of Fees for Road Traffic Measures (GebOSt). Their amount depends on various factors. In individual cases, information can be obtained from the locally competent licensing authority.

Legal basis

Vehicle Registration Ordinance (FZV)

Schedule of Fees for Road Traffic Measures (GebOSt)

Road Traffic Licensing Regulations (StVZO-)


According to the Code of Administrative Procedure, the time limit for an appeal or other remedy begins to run only if the party concerned has been informed in writing or electronically of the appeal, the administrative authority or court to which the appeal is to be brought, the registered office and the time limit to be observed.

As a rule, the legal remedy is to bring an action.

What else should I know?

If there are vehicle tax arrears or if you have arrears of fees and expenses from previous registration procedures, the registration authority will refuse registration until you have paid them.
If someone registers your vehicle on your behalf, the authorised representative must provide a written power of attorney from you. This must also include a declaration of consent for the licensing authority to inform the authorised representative of any arrears of fees and expenses.

Technically approved by

Lower Saxony Ministry of Economic Affairs, Labour and Transport


The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

Applications / Forms

  • SEPA-Lastschriftmandat (ausfüllbar)

  • SEPA-Lastschriftmandat, gültig ab 24.03.2014

  • Vollmacht zur Fahrzeugzulassung - NEU

  • Zulassung: Info - SEPA


competent Bodies

Landkreis Emsland - Fachbereich Straßenverkehr
Address: Ordeniederung 1 , 49716 Meppen
Postal address: Post Office Box 15 62 , 49705 Meppen
Telephone: 05931 44-0
Fax: 05931 44-3621
Transport Connection:
Station Haltestelle Kreishaus
Bus: 993

Building Access
elevator available, wheelchair-accessible


Reiner Egbring
Telephone: 05931 44-4004
K II, 4
responsible for:

Data protection information

Landesbeauftragte für den Datenschutz Niedersachsen
Address: Prinzenstraße 5, 30159 Hannover
Telephone: +49 511 12045-00
Fax: +49 511 12045-99

Source: Serviceportal Niedersachsen (Portalverbund des Bundes und der Länder)