Please enter a search term.

Your selected location: Emsland

For an area outside of Lower Saxony and foreign languages, some menu items and functions are not available. Please go to the service page of the respective country.

Motor vehicle registration in case of transfer to another owner outside the registration district

If a vehicle is to be transferred to a new owner in another registration district, an application must be submitted to the competent authority in the new registration district. The application can be made in person or through an authorized person.

Who should I contact?

The responsibility lies with the district, with the district-free city and with the municipality, joint municipality and city entrusted with this task.

The main residence according to the identity card is decisive. In the case of legal persons, this is the registered office of the main establishment or the registered office of the branch.


  • Registration of the vehicle to the main residence of a private individual

Which documents are required?

  • Identity card or passport with registration certificate from the registration authority of the place of residence not older than 3 months
  • Registration certificate Part II or, in the case of vehicles exempt from registration but subject to marking, the type-approval
  • Registration certificate Part I or deregistration certificate
  • Registration plates for registered vehicles (only required when changing number plates). It should be noted that the license plates may not be stamped by hand. This is done in the Road Traffic Authority.
  • Electronic insurance confirmation (eVB) according to § 23 Fahrzeug-Zulassungsverordnung (FZV)
  • Test report of the last valid main inspection (HU)
    • not applicable for vehicles for which the first general inspection was not yet due, or
    • for vehicles for which the due date of the next main inspection is apparent to the registration authority from another official document § 29 paragraph 10 Road Traffic Licensing Regulations (StVZO)
  • SEPA direct debit mandate for the collection of motor vehicle tax
    • This must be submitted in writing in the original signed by the holder upon admission, also by third parties. In the event of a different account holder, this mandate must be signed in the original by the holder and the account holder. The bank details provided must be proven.
    • Alternative:
      • a certificate stating that the Hauptzollamt waives the collection of vehicle tax, or
      • Proof of exemption

in the case of execution by third parties additionally:

  • informal, written authorisation of the applicant and identity card of the person for whom the vehicle is to be registered

for companies additionally:

  • Excerpt from the trade register or commercial register
  • the identity papers of the responsible person authorised to sign (managing director, authorised signatory) and their power of attorney

for clubs additionally:

  • Excerpt from the register of associations
  • Identification of the responsible, authorized signatory person (board of directors) and their power of attorney

in addition, in the case of civil-law companies:

  • Complete overview of the shareholdersusually shareholders' agreement
  • Power of attorney and declaration to which natural person the admission is to be granted – confirmed by all partnersby signature

What are the fees?

Fees apply. Please contact the relevant authority.

What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?

Deadlines may have to be observed. Please contact the competent authority.

What else should I know?

Since 01 October 2005 there are new vehicle documents, registration certificate part I (old: vehicle registration) and registration certificate II (old: vehicle registration). These are uniform in the European Union (EU). An exchange by the vehicle owner is not required. The existing vehicle documents will be exchanged for the new documents (Parts I and II) as soon as the registration authority issues new vehicle documents.

Technically approved by

AG Kommunenredaktion


The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

Applications / Forms

  • SEPA-Lastschriftmandat (ausfüllbar)

  • SEPA-Lastschriftmandat, gültig ab 24.03.2014

  • Vollmacht zur Fahrzeugzulassung - NEU

  • Zulassung: Info - SEPA


competent Bodies

Landkreis Emsland - Fachbereich Straßenverkehr
Address: Ordeniederung 1 , 49716 Meppen
Postal address: Post Office Box 15 62 , 49705 Meppen
Telephone: 05931 44-0
Fax: 05931 44-3621
Transport Connection:
Station Haltestelle Kreishaus
Bus: 993

Building Access
elevator available, wheelchair-accessible


Reiner Egbring
Telephone: 05931 44-4004
K II, 4
responsible for:

Data protection information

Landesbeauftragte für den Datenschutz Niedersachsen
Address: Prinzenstraße 5, 30159 Hannover
Telephone: +49 511 12045-00
Fax: +49 511 12045-99

Source: Serviceportal Niedersachsen (Portalverbund des Bundes und der Länder)