Please enter a search term.

Your selected location: Emsland

For an area outside of Lower Saxony and foreign languages, some menu items and functions are not available. Please go to the service page of the respective country.

License plates Allocation of seasonal plates

Seasonal license plates are intended for vehicles such as motorcycles, convertibles or motorhomes that are only used at certain times of the year. Their owners or holders can thus save themselves the frequent registration and deregistration. The insurance cover and the obligation to pay contributions are suspended in the period outside the operating period. The operating period is indicated on the right-hand edge of the license plate (e.g. 05/11 = the vehicle may be used from May to November).

Process flow

When registering the vehicle, you specify once the period – at least 2 to a maximum of 11 months per year – in which you want to use the vehicle. Outside this operating period, the vehicle must be parked on private property (e.g. in a garage).

You can have the license plates produced during the issuance of the seasonal license plate. To do this, contact the private providers, who are usually located near the responsible authorities. The cost of the signs is not included in the fees. The seasonal plates are stamped by the competent authority, i.e. provided with stickers for the main inspection (HU) and the registration district.

Who should I contact?

The responsibility lies with the district and the independent city in which you have your residence.

The main residence according to the identity card is decisive. In the case of legal persons, it is the registered office of the main establishment or the registered office of the branch.

Which documents are required?

  • Current identity card or passport with confirmation of registration – not older than 3 months
  • Electronic insurance confirmation (eVB) according to § 23 Fahrzeug-Zulassungsverordnung (FZV) with indication of the season period
  • Registration certificate Part I
  • Registration certificate Part II or type approval (for vehicles without registration but subject to registration plates)
  • Test report of the last valid main inspection (HU)
    • not applicable for vehicles whose first general inspection was not yet due
  • previous license plates
  • If applicable, reservation confirmation for the desired license plate
  • SEPA direct debit mandate for the collection of motor vehicle tax
    • This must be submitted in writing in the original signed by the holder upon admission, also by third parties. In the event of a different account holder, this mandate must be signed in the original by the holder and the account holder. The bank details provided must be proven.
    • Alternative:
      • a certificate stating that the Hauptzollamt waives the collection of vehicle tax, or
      • Proof of exemption
  • where applicable, certificate of deregistration/closure before 1 October 2005

in the case of execution by third parties additionally:

  • informal, written authorisation of the applicant and identity card of the person for whom the vehicle is to be registered

for companies additionally:

  • Excerpt from the trade register or commercial register
  • the identity papers of the responsible person authorised to sign (managing director, authorised signatory) and their power of attorney

What are the fees?

Fees apply. Please contact the relevant authority.

In addition, there are costs for the license plates, which you can obtain from the local sign manufacturers.

What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?

There are no deadlines to be observed.

Applications / forms

You must submit the application in person or through a person authorised in writing (e.g. car dealer). If an application form is necessary, you can obtain it in advance from the responsible office and fill it out at home. A download form or online service may be available over the Internet. Your insurance company will be automatically informed by the competent authority about the allocation of the seasonal number plate. The vehicle shall be presented to the competent authority, unless the latter waives it.

  • SEPA-Lastschriftmandat (ausfüllbar)

  • SEPA-Lastschriftmandat, gültig ab 24.03.2014

  • Vollmacht zur Fahrzeugzulassung - NEU

  • Zulassung: Info - SEPA


What else should I know?

If you change the season period, you will need a new insurance certificate and new plates (but no new license plate, i.e. no different combination of letters or numbers) for the vehicle.

If you would like to reserve a desired number plate , this can be done in person, in writing or by telephone as well as as an online service via the Internet, depending on the offer of the competent authority, before the new registration.

Technically approved by

AG Kommunenredaktion


The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

competent Bodies

Landkreis Emsland - Fachbereich Straßenverkehr
Address: Ordeniederung 1 , 49716 Meppen
Postal address: Post Office Box 15 62 , 49705 Meppen
Telephone: 05931 44-0
Fax: 05931 44-3621
Transport Connection:
Station Haltestelle Kreishaus
Bus: 993

Building Access
elevator available, wheelchair-accessible


Reiner Egbring
Telephone: 05931 44-4004
K II, 4
responsible for:

Data protection information

Landesbeauftragte für den Datenschutz Niedersachsen
Address: Prinzenstraße 5, 30159 Hannover
Telephone: +49 511 12045-00
Fax: +49 511 12045-99

Source: Serviceportal Niedersachsen (Portalverbund des Bundes und der Länder)