Please enter a search term.

Your selected location: Emsland

For an area outside of Lower Saxony and foreign languages, some menu items and functions are not available. Please go to the service page of the respective country.

Apply for compensation under the Infection Protection Act for childcare

Working custodians are entitled to compensation for their loss of earnings if schools or daycare centers have been closed for reasons of infection and they ensure the care of their child or children themselves. Children must not have reached the age of 12. This age restriction does not apply to disabled children. The entitlement also applies to foster children.

Compensation depends on your earnings.

Compensation is granted for a maximum closure period of 6 weeks. It amounts to 67% of your net earnings, for a full month a maximum of 2,016 euros.

If the facility would close anyway due to holidays, this rule does not apply in principle.

If you have concluded a childcare contract with an after-school care facility, you are also entitled to compensation during the school holidays.

Before you receive this compensation, you must exhaust all other reasonable care options. These are, for example, childcare by family members or friends, home office, reduction of time credits or vacation.

Care by so-called "risk groups" should be avoided. These include, above all, the elderly or people with pre-existing conditions.

In the case of short-time work, there is no entitlement to compensation.

The following applies to employees:

Your employer will pay you the compensation for the duration of the closure period, for a maximum of 6 weeks. The employer is reimbursed for the amounts paid out by the competent authority.

Therefore, inform your employer immediately about your childcare situation so that they can apply for compensation. If your employer (especially smaller companies) is unable to make advance payments, you can apply for advances in the expected amount of the reimbursement.

In exceptional cases, you can submit the application for compensation yourself.

The following applies to employers:

You must pay the compensation to your employees for the duration of the closure period, for a maximum of 6 weeks (advance payment). You may be reimbursed by the competent authority for the sums paid.

Contributions to pension, long-term care and health insurance can also be reimbursed.

You can also apply for an advance.

The following applies to the self-employed:

You will be reimbursed directly from the competent authority.

For the calculation of the loss of earnings, your last annual profit is taken into account. This is divided by 12.

Contributions to pension, long-term care and health insurance can also be reimbursed.

You can also apply for an advance.

The following applies to homeworkers:

Unlike the self-employed, your average monthly income is taken into account for the calculation.

Process flow

The compensation procedure shall be carried out by the competent authority. Employers and the self-employed submit applications, while employees can only submit applications in exceptional cases.

The payment is instructed by the competent authority and is made directly to the account details provided by the applicant. Applicants will receive a notification of this.

Who should I contact?

In Lower Saxony, Hesse and Baden-Württemberg, the districts and the independent cities are responsible. In the other federal states, the corresponding state authorities.


Parents are entitled to compensation for their loss of earnings due to childcare if:

  • You are caring for your child(ren) yourself due to the closure of a childcare facility or school by the authorities
  • and your child is younger than 12 years old or has a disability and is dependent on help,
  • and you have a loss of earnings,
  • and you have custody of this child,
  • and you have no other reasonable care option;
  • the Bundestag has decided on the epidemic situation of national significance
  • There are no additional children's sick days available according to SGB V.

Which documents are required?

For employees:

Application (your employer will provide this online for you)

Applications can be submitted online via or by paper application. In some federal states, however, electronic application is mandatory. Check the website of your federal state to find out which regulations apply there.

Depending on whether you are self-employed, an employer or an employee, you will need the following documents:

In the case of the self-employed

  • Proof of income (tax assessment) of the previous year
  • Proof of social security
  • If the children are legally insured, proof from the health insurance company that you have not taken any children's sick days or that you have already used up the additional children's sick days.
  • If applicable, a confirmation from the institution of the closure or, if segregation has been ordered in writing, the corresponding notice
  • A confirmation from you and, if applicable.dem, another parent with custody that you no longer have any vacation from the previous year and no more overtime.

For employers

  • Instead of the income tax assessment, the wage statements of the 2 months before loss of earnings per employee, as well as for the months for which the refund is claimed

In the case of employees

  • Wage statements for the 2 months before loss of earnings and for the months for which the compensation is claimed.

If necessary, further documents:

  • If available: Proof of the officially ordered closure of schools or childcare facilities, proof of quarantine of the child, proof of the child's special need for care, e.g. a disability card
  • If you submit this application on behalf of a company or a self-employed person (e.g. as a tax consultant): Power of attorney.
  • If necessary, further evidence will be requested as part of the processing by the competent authorities.

What are the fees?


What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?

Application Deadline: 2 Years
An entitlement exists at the earliest from 30.03.2020 to 23.09.2022 or in the event of a renewed epidemic situation of national significance. Applications must be submitted within 2 years of the end of the necessary childcare.

Processing duration

Please understand that the processing of applications varies depending on the volume and authority. Unfortunately, it may well happen that the processing of your application can take up to 12 months or longer.

Applications will be processed in the order in which they are received.

Applications / forms

Forms available: Yes

Written form required: Yes

Informal application possible: No

Personal appearance required: No

Online services available: Yes


If you are not satisfied with the authority's decision, you can first try to communicate your reasons and concerns. The authority will then review your request.

If the authority upholds your decision, you have the option of filing a complaint with the competent administrative court in writing or for the record within one month of notification of the decision. In some federal states, the objection must be filed.

What else should I know?

  • Please make sure that your information is complete.
  • False and incorrect information may lead to a recovery of the compensation paid.
  • Please remember to show the compensation payment in the employees' statements or to correct it accordingly after receiving the compensation. This is mainly due to tax reasons.

Technically approved by

Lower Saxony Ministry of Social Affairs, Labour, Health and Equality


The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

competent Bodies

Landkreis Emsland - Fachbereich Gesundheit
Address: Ordeniederung 1 , 49716 Meppen
Postal address: Post Office Box 15 62 , 49705 Meppen
Telephone: 05931 44-0
Fax: 05931 44-3621
Transport Connection:
Station Haltestelle Kreishaus
Bus: 993

Building Access
elevator available, wheelchair-accessible

Data protection information

Landesbeauftragte für den Datenschutz Niedersachsen
Address: Prinzenstraße 5, 30159 Hannover
Telephone: +49 511 12045-00
Fax: +49 511 12045-99

Source: Serviceportal Niedersachsen (Portalverbund des Bundes und der Länder)