Please enter a search term.
Please note:You can only obtain complete information if you indicate the place of residence, the place of business or the building project, depending on the procedure.

Flood protection

In principle, the responsibility for flood protection lies with the competent authority, which is responsible for the affairs of the local community, urban land use planning and hazard prevention.

River basin-related, conceptual planning in flood protection as the basis of functional services of general interest is carried out by the state. In addition, the state supports the competent authority in its projects by providing existing planning data.

As a result of historical development, dike associations have been formed on the large bodies of water such as the Elbe, Weser, Unteraller and partly also on the Ems, which have their basis in the Water Association Act and the Lower Saxony Act (NDG).

Construction projects in floodplains are generally prohibited. In strictly limited exceptional cases, an exemption may be granted.

Planning principles

The inland flood protection measures are carried out on the basis of conceptual planning as well as plans of the associations (dike associations, water and soil associations) and municipalities. Corresponding flood protection plans are available for raising and strengthening the dikes on the Elbe, the Middle Weser and the Unteraller. These are already based on the recommendations of the Conference of Environment Ministers for sustainable and forward-looking flood protection.

Who should I contact?

The responsibility lies with the municipality, the joint municipality and the city as well as the local fire brigade.

In areas where there are dike associations, the contact persons for questions of flood protection are the respective board members or managing directors of these associations. Otherwise, the respective heads of Division II are available as contact persons in the operating offices of the Lower Saxony State Agency for Water Management, Coastal Protection and Nature Conservation (NLWKN).

Which documents are required?

Documents may be required. Please contact the competent authority.

What are the fees?

Fees may apply, please contact the competent authority.

What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?

Deadlines may have to be observed. Please contact the competent authority.

What else should I know?

Financing of flood protection measures

The state grants financial support to associations and municipalities from the joint task "Improvement of Agricultural Structure and Coastal Protection" (GAK) on the basis of the respective funding principles. In addition, EU funds (EAFRD and ERDF) are made available. The Lower Saxony State Agency for Water Management, Coastal Protection and Nature Conservation (NLWKN) is responsible for inclusion in the above-mentioned funding programmes.


Text reviewed by the Lower Saxony Ministry for the Environment, Energy and Climate Protection


The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

Source: Serviceportal Niedersachsen (Portalverbund des Bundes und der Länder)