Please enter a search term.
Please note:You can only obtain complete information if you indicate the place of residence, the place of business or the building project, depending on the procedure.

Restrict the processing of your personal data by the Federal Statistical Office

As a citizen of the European Union, you can request from any body that stores and processes personal data about you that your data may only be stored but no longer processed.
Personal data includes, for example

  • Online data such as IP address, location data, e-mail address
  • Bank data such as account balances, account numbers
  • Identification numbers such as identity card number or social security number
  • Land register entries
  • Health information such as genetic data, medical data
  • certificates
  • General personal data such as name, address, age, marital status
  • Physical characteristics such as gender, skin, hair or eye color, height

With your right to restriction of processing, you can initially prevent your personal data from continuing to be processed electronically. As soon as the rights of the data controller have expired, your data will be permanently deleted. You can only invoke your right to restriction of processing under certain conditions.

You can assert the right to restriction of processing against public and non-public bodies. Public bodies are, for example, authorities such as the Federal Statistical Office (StBA); non-public bodies are, for example, commercial enterprises, associations or clubs.

You must request the restriction of the processing of your personal data directly from the StBA.

You can request the restricted processing of your personal data online or in writing by post.
Request a restriction from the StBA online:

  • Call up the online application on the StBA website. This will guide you step by step through the necessary information, which you can enter electronically.
  • The StBA will usually send you the corresponding answer by post to your registration address or, under certain circumstances, by e-mail.
  • Request a restriction from the StBA in writing:
  • You can submit your request informally.
  • Send your request by post or e-mail to the public authority.

The StBA will send you the corresponding reply by post to your registration address or by e-mail.

You may request the restricted processing of your personal data if:

  • you have requested the rectification of inaccurate data and the data controller is examining this request,
  • you have objected to the processing and it is still necessary to check whether the interests of the data controller outweigh your interests,
  • you expressly request restriction instead of erasure, or
  • the data controller no longer needs your data, but you still wish to use it for its own purposes.

You cannot have the processing of your personal data restricted if it is being processed

  • for archiving purposes which are in the public interest and which would be seriously affected by the restriction,
  • for research, scientific or statistical purposes, insofar as the original purpose would no longer be achieved or would be seriously impaired by the restriction of processing.
  • No documents are required.

There are no costs for you.

You do not have to observe any deadlines.

The processing of your personal data must be stopped immediately if all requirements are met, i.e. without culpable delay on the part of the body processing the data. In principle, you must be informed of the measures taken no later than 1 month after you have requested the restriction. If this is not possible, you must be informed of the reasons for the delay and the extended deadline.

- Forms: no

- Online procedure possible: yes

- Written form required: no

- Personal appearance required: no

There are no generally applicable legal remedies.

Federal Ministry of the Interior, Building and Community


The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

Source: Serviceportal Niedersachsen (Portalverbund des Bundes und der Länder)