Please enter a search term.
Please note:You can only obtain complete information if you indicate the place of residence, the place of business or the building project, depending on the procedure.

Apply for support for returning to work

You can claim benefits for participation in working life if you have health problems that prevent you from working. You can

  • receive measures or aids that enable you to return to or continue working in your profession or
  • benefits to change your occupation

make use of benefits to change your profession.

The support you receive depends on your case. The important thing is that the measure helps you to pursue your profession or another profession.

You can receive the following support for practicing your profession:

  • Motor vehicle assistance
    You will receive grants for the purchase of a car and/or for fitting out your car to make it suitable for disabled people:
    • You will receive a grant of up to EUR 9,500 for the purchase of a car.
    • The costs of converting an existing car to make it suitable for the disabled are covered in full.
  • Assumption of costs for travel to and from a training course
  • Assumption of costs for work assistance
    Pension insurance covers the costs of a person who supports you in your job. The costs are covered for a maximum of 3 years. If you have further needs after this period, the Integration Office will finance the work assistance.
  • Assumption of costs for aids
    This includes
    • Costs that you need to carry out your job and/or to get to your workplace
    • Costs for participation in a measure that contributes to occupational participation
    • Costs for technical work aids such as screen readers or software

If you are no longer able to carry out your profession, you can receive support for taking up work:

  • Start-up grant
    If you want to set up your own business, you will receive a grant. Your self-employed work must match your medical condition and provide you with an income.
  • Benefits in a recognized workshop for disabled people (WfbM)
    You can consider working in a sheltered workshop if the general labor market is closed to you due to the severity of your disability and you can only carry out suitable work in the protected environment of a sheltered workshop.
  • Benefits for vocational adjustment, retraining, training, further training or vocational preparation
    If you require support in the form of accompanying assistance - such as medical, psychological or social care - this will be taken into account when selecting the facility.

You cannot receive a benefit for participation in working life if you

  • are entitled to a similar benefit from another rehabilitation provider - such as accident insurance - due to an accident at work, an occupational disease or injury caused by a third party.
  • are a civil servant, soldier or judge. Please contact your local integration office to find out from whom you can receive benefits.
  • already receive or have applied for an old-age pension amounting to at least two thirds of the full pension.
  • have permanently retired from working life and are receiving a company pension, for example, until the start of your old-age pension.
  • are in custody or serving a prison sentence.

Process flow

You can submit your application online, in person or in writing.

Online application:

  • On the German Pension Insurance (DRV) website under "Online services" you will find detailed information on the process.
  • If you follow the "Submit application" link, you will be guided through the next steps and can select the desired application.
  • Alternatively, you can use the online services with registration. For example, you can immediately see which insurance periods have already been recorded. You also save time and do not have to re-enter data you already know.
  • Complete the application in full and upload the required documents.
  • Submit your application online.
  • You will receive a confirmation of submission.
  • The responsible pension insurance provider will check your application.
  • You will receive notification of your application.

Personal application:

  • Compile the necessary documents for your application and make an appointment with the DRV.
  • When making an appointment online, your personal details and, if possible, your insurance number will be required.
  • You can select a desired advice center and your preferred date. Depending on the availability of free appointments, you will receive a proposal for a binding consultation appointment.
  • During your personal consultation, your application will be recorded electronically and forwarded online to the relevant pension insurance provider.
  • The responsible pension insurance provider will check your application.
  • You will receive a decision on your application.

Written application:

  • Go to the DRV website.
  • Download the required application form.
  • You can also collect the form in person from the information and advice centers.
  • Complete the application form, sign it and attach the required documents.
  • Send all documents
    • by post to your pension insurance provider or
    • hand them in at one of the local advice centers.
  • The responsible pension insurance provider will check your application.
  • You will receive a decision on your application.

A person you trust can also submit your application on your behalf. Please submit a power of attorney to the pension insurance fund for this purpose. As long as the power of attorney is valid, the pension insurance company will only contact the person you have authorized.

If you give your consent to electronic communication, all correspondence can take place online. You can either use the electronic mailbox under the online services with registration or De-Mail.


You can receive benefits for participation in working life from pension insurance if you

  • have been insured in the statutory pension insurance scheme for at least 15 years (so-called "waiting period of 15 years") or
  • receive a pension due to reduced earning capacity or
  • receive a large widow's or widower's pension due to reduced earning capacity or
  • would be entitled to a reduced earning capacity pension from the pension insurance fund without these benefits, or
  • have previously received a medical rehabilitation benefit from the pension insurance which alone is not sufficient for the desired rehabilitation success.

Which documents are required?

  • Application for participation benefits for insured persons - Rehabilitation application
  • You should ask your pension insurance provider in advance whether they require a medical report or a medical certificate.

What are the fees?

There are no costs for you.

What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?

You do not have to observe any deadlines and can apply for rehabilitation at any time.

Processing duration

Processing takes up to 1 month.

Applications / forms

Forms available: Yes

Written form required: Yes

Informal application possible: No

Personal appearance necessary: No

Online services available: Yes


  • Objection. Detailed information can be found in the notification of your application for rehabilitation.
  • Legal action before the social court. Detailed information can be found in the notice of appeal.

Technically approved by

Federal Ministry of Labor and Social Affairs (BMAS)

Professionally released on



The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

Source: Serviceportal Niedersachsen (Portalverbund des Bundes und der Länder)