Please enter a search term.
Please note:You can only obtain complete information if you indicate the place of residence, the place of business or the building project, depending on the procedure.

Applying for integration assistance for children and young people with mental disabilities or imminent mental disabilities

Some children and young people are unable to participate in public life on an equal footing because of their disability. Integration assistance supports children and young people with disabilities so that they can lead a self-determined life. This integration assistance is aimed at children and young people with a mental or imminent mental disability.

Integration aids are divided into 4 groups:

  • Medical rehabilitation services
  • Benefits for participation in working life
  • Benefits for participation in education and training
  • Social Participation Services

Integration assistance can look like this:

  • in outpatient form, outside of inpatient facilities, for example a school accompaniment,
  • in day care facilities for children or in other day-care facilities,
  • in daytime and night facilities and other forms of housing,
  • placement in full-time care (in the case of suitable persons; according to § 35a para. 2 no. 3 SGB VIII).

A mental disability can be, for example, an anxiety disorder, depression, psychosis, autism, ADHD or an eating disorder.

In addition to mental disability, there are also physical and mental disabilities. Integration assistance can also be provided for this. This may be the responsibility of other bodies. Ask your Youth Welfare Office which office is responsible for you.

Process flow

  • Please contact the competent authority.
  • In a personal conversation, you will be shown possible help. This can also be a supplement or combination of educational aids or assistance from other or other rehabilitation providers.
  • Integration assistance can only be granted if a suitable doctor certifies a mental or imminent mental disability.
  • All parties involved (you, your child, the employee of the independent agency and the Youth Welfare Office) meet for a help plan discussion. The aid plan specifies how the aid is to be structured and what objectives are to be achieved.
  • If necessary, a participation plan procedure will be carried out in addition.
  • You submit an application for integration assistance.
  • The competent authority commissions an independent welfare agency to carry out the integration assistance

Who should I contact?

The local youth welfare office


  • Young people are eligible. You can apply from the age of 15.
  • Before the age of 15, their legal representatives submit an application on their behalf.
  • Your child has a mental disability or is at risk of having one. The condition is likely to last longer than 6 months.
  • Your child's participation in social life is impaired.

Which documents are required?

Documents may be required. Please contact the competent authority.

What are the fees?

Integration assistance in outpatient form is free of charge. School accompaniments, for example, are on an outpatient basis.

In the case of partial or full inpatient integration assistance in day care centres, with caregivers or in facilities over day and night, you must participate to an appropriate extent. Please ask the responsible Youth Welfare Office about this.

What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?

There are no deadlines to be observed.

Technically approved by

Lower Saxony Ministry of Social Affairs, Labour, Health and Equality


The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

Source: Serviceportal Niedersachsen (Portalverbund des Bundes und der Länder)