Please enter a search term.
Please note:You can only obtain complete information if you indicate the place of residence, the place of business or the building project, depending on the procedure.

Driving licence: issue - exceptions to minimum age

If a category of driving licence is to be issued before reaching the minimum age, you must submit an application for exemption (decision on exemption from the minimum age rules) to the competent authority.

Process flow

The application must be submitted in writing. Subsequently, inquiries are made by the competent body and opinions are requested for preliminary examination. The application is then forwarded to the medical-psychological assessment centre.

Who should I contact?

The responsibility lies with the district and the independent city in which you have your residence.


  • Application at the earliest 1 year before reaching the minimum age
    • Exceptions to this rule are only possible in cases of particular hardship.
  • Report from an officially recognised assessment centre for fitness to drive

Which documents are required?

  • Written reasoned request
  • Certificate of good conduct

What are the fees?

  • Costs for the medical-psychological examination

Fee: 55,00 - 60,00 EUR
Payment in advance: No

What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?

The exemption may not exceed the prescribed minimum age by a maximum of 1 year. The exemption is then usually granted until the minimum age is reached.

Legal basis

What else should I know?

The exemption can only be granted if there is an unreasonable hardship for the person concerned. In the assessment of reasonableness, it shall be examined in particular whether the destination can also be reached by other means by public transport or carpooling or whether the destination can also be reached by vehicles for which no exception is required.

Technically approved by

AG Kommunenredaktion


The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

Source: Serviceportal Niedersachsen (Portalverbund des Bundes und der Länder)