Please enter a search term.
Please note:You can only obtain complete information if you indicate the place of residence, the place of business or the building project, depending on the procedure.

Approval for 100 km/h for motor vehicles with trailers (combinations)

Approval for a maximum speed of 100 km/h on freeways and motorways is possible

  • - for passenger cars with trailers (combination),
  • - for other multi-track motor vehicles with a maximum permissible mass of up to 3.5 t with trailer (combination) and
  • - for bus-trailer combinations if the bus with a gross vehicle weight rating of up to 3.5 t has a speed limit of 100 km/h as a towing vehicle in accordance with Section 18 (5) No. 3 of the German Road Traffic Regulations (StVO).

Process flow

The trailer must first be presented to an officially recognized expert or inspector or a test engineer from an officially recognized monitoring organization. They will check whether your trailer meets the technical requirements for this speed. If this is the case, you will receive a confirmation for the registration authority.

Please contact the manufacturer of your trailer before going to the expert; it may already be approved for a speed of 100 km/h.

A personal visit is required. It can also be carried out by an authorized person.

Who should I contact?

The responsibility lies with the district, the independent city or the city and municipality entrusted with this task.

In this case, the main residence according to the identity card is decisive. In the case of legal entities, this is the registered office of the principal place of business or the seat of the branch.

Which documents are required?

  • Registration certificate part I of the trailer;
  • - Certificate from an officially recognized expert or inspector or a test engineer from an officially recognized inspection organization confirming that the technical requirements have been met or confirmation from the manufacturer

If you commission a third party, they will need written authorization from you. They must also present your identity document (original) to the registration authority. He himself must be able to identify himself with his valid identity card/passport.

What are the fees?

The fee is levied in accordance with the Schedule of Fees for Road Traffic Measures (GebOSt). Information can be obtained on a case-by-case basis from the competent licensing authority.


As a rule, the legal remedy is to bring an action.

Technically approved by

Lower Saxony Ministry of Economic Affairs, Labour, Transport and Digitalisation

Professionally released on



The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

Source: Serviceportal Niedersachsen (Portalverbund des Bundes und der Länder)