Please enter a search term.
Please note:You can only obtain complete information if you indicate the place of residence, the place of business or the building project, depending on the procedure.

Registration certificate Part II Issuance

Since 2005, the registration certificate has been the official document for clarifying the ownership of a motor vehicle and the fulfilment of the technical operating requirements. The person entered in the registration certificate is the owner of the corresponding vehicle and therefore not necessarily the owner or even the owner, even if in most cases this can be assumed.

The advantages are the higher protection against forgery, the EU-wide readability and standardisation as well as the higher information content. In Germany, the registration certificate Part II consists of a single-sided printed document on forgery-proof special paper in the format 21 × 30.48 cm (formatted 21 × 29.7 cm).

Process flow

For data protection reasons, the previous owners (keepers) of a vehicle are no longer traceable by name, with the exception of the last pre-owner (in contrast to the old vehicle registration document). Instead, only the date of the first admission and the number of keepers are entered. From the third owner of the vehicle, for each additional second subsequent vehicle holding person (i.e. the fifth, the seventh, etc. Person) issued a new document upon admission.

There is no general obligation to exchange the old vehicle registration document for the new registration certificate Part II. However, there must be no juxtaposition of old and new papers for a vehicle. It is automatically exchanged if a new vehicle registration document has to be issued anyway, e.g. because it has been lost. This is independent of whether the old vehicle registration document is still available or not. The vehicle registration document is validated and replaced by the registration certificate Part II. The vehicle registration document shall be destroyed and replaced by the Part I registration certificate .

Who should I contact?

The responsibility lies with the district, with the district-free city and with the municipality, joint municipality and city entrusted with this task.

The main residence according to the identity card is decisive. In the case of legal persons, this is the registered office of the main establishment or the registered office of the branch.

Which documents are required?

  • SEPA direct debit mandate for the collection of motor vehicle tax
    • This must be submitted in writing in the original signed by the holder upon admission, also by third parties. In the event of a different account holder, this mandate must be signed in the original by the holder and the account holder. The bank details provided must be proven.
    • Alternative:
      • a certificate stating that the Hauptzollamt renounces the direct debit authorisation, or
      • proof of exemption

Additional documents may be required. Please contact the competent authority.

What are the fees?

Fees may apply. Please contact the relevant authority.

What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?

Deadlines may have to be observed. Please contact the competent authority.

Technically approved by

AG Kommunenredaktion


The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

Source: Serviceportal Niedersachsen (Portalverbund des Bundes und der Länder)