Please enter a search term.
Please note:You can only obtain complete information if you indicate the place of residence, the place of business or the building project, depending on the procedure.

Driving licence: issuance - passenger transport

If you want to transport passengers in taxis, rental cars, ambulances or cars on regular services, on commercial excursions or to holiday destinations, you need a driving licence for passenger transport in addition to the general driving licence.
(See also: Passenger transport: approve - transport)


  • Passing the necessary exams

Who should I contact?

The responsibility lies with the district and the district-free city in which the main residence is.

Which documents are required?

  • Photo ID (ID card, passport)
  • Proof of possession of an EU/EEA driving licence (for taxi class B within the last 5 years at least 2 years and for ambulance class B within the last 5 years at least 1 year)
  • Certificate of registration from the Residents' Registration Office responsible for the main residence, if no identity card can be presented
  • A photograph that complies with the provisions of the Passport Ordinance of 19.10.2007, last amended by Article 2 of the Order of 20.08.2021
  • Ophthalmologist's report
  • Expert opinion on physical and mental fitness
  • Proof of compliance with the special requirements (Annex 5 No. 2.2 FeV)
  • Proof of 1st assistance (for ambulances only)
  • Certificate of good conduct stating the purpose of the assignment "Issuance of a driving licence for passenger transport". This must be applied for at the municipality, joint municipality and city responsible for the main residence.

What are the fees?

Emission: 13,00 EUR
Payment in advance: No
Issuance of the certificate of good conduct

Emission: 38,00 EUR
Payment in advance: No
Renewal of a driver's licence for passenger transport

Fee: 42,60 EUR
Payment in advance: No
Initial issuance of a driving licence for passenger transport

What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?

Deadlines may have to be observed. Please contact the competent authority.

Applications / forms

The application must be made in person.


Text reviewed by the Lower Saxony Ministry of Economic Affairs, Labour and Transport


The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

Source: Serviceportal Niedersachsen (Portalverbund des Bundes und der Länder)