Please enter a search term.
Please note:You can only obtain complete information if you indicate the place of residence, the place of business or the building project, depending on the procedure.

Driving licence: transfer - foreign driving licence

Holders of a valid foreign driving licence may drive motor vehicles within the scope of their authorisation in Germany for a period of 6 months if they have a normal residence in Germany. If a motor vehicle is to continue to be driven in Germany, a conversion of the driving authorisation into a German driving licence is required.

EU or EEA driving licences of harmonised driving licence categories do not in principle require any reclassification, unless they are temporary driving licences.

Who should I contact?

The responsibility lies with the district and the independent city in which you have your residence.

Which documents are required?

  • Application form (to be created by the driving licence authority)
  • Photo ID (identity card, passport, displaced persons ID)
  • Registration certificate from the residents' registration office responsible for the main residence
  • a photograph (biometric) that complies with the provisions of the Passport Ordinance of 19 October 2007 (Federal Law Gazette I p. 2007, 2386)
  • foreign driving licence, possibly with official translation
  • Proof that the foreign driving licence is valid

All other application documents depend on the category of driving licence to be converted and on the state which issued the licence. Further information can be obtained from your competent driving licence authority.

What are the fees?

Fees may apply. Please contact the relevant authority.

What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?

Deadlines may have to be observed. Please contact the competent authority.


Text checked by the Lower Saxony Ministry of Economic Affairs, Labour and Transport; updated 29.06.2009


The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

Source: Serviceportal Niedersachsen (Portalverbund des Bundes und der Länder)