Please enter a search term.
Please note:You can only obtain complete information if you indicate the place of residence, the place of business or the building project, depending on the procedure.

Foreigners' affairs

Legal provisions for foreigners result from international agreements, the law of the European Union and national law. In national law, the Residence Act regulates the entry, residence, gainful employment and promotion of the integration of foreigners in federal territory.

The Residence Act does not contain any conclusive regulations for the residence of a foreigner in federal territory. Where a legal fact is not linked to a person's status as a foreigner, the general laws apply. Foreigners, like nationals, must observe the statutory rules of commandment and prohibition.

Entry is only permitted if it is carried out in accordance with the Residence Act and related legislation.

Integration is the right and duty of foreigners living here permanently. Integration efforts of foreigners are supported by a basic offer for integration (integration course).

Who should I contact?

The responsibility lies with the district, the district-free city and the large independent city as well as the Hanover region, the state capital Hanover and the city of Göttingen.

Which documents are required?

Documents may be required. Please contact the competent authority.

What are the fees?

Fees may apply. Please contact the relevant authority.

What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?

Deadlines may have to be observed. Please contact the competent authority.

Legal basis

Regulations in other laws remain "unaffected". The Residence Act is thus understood as a regulation of the "general law on aliens", which has to take second place to the more specific provisions.

More specific provisions include, for example:

What else should I know?

For more information, please visit the following Web site:

Technically approved by

Lower Saxony Ministry of the Interior and Sport


The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

Source: Serviceportal Niedersachsen (Portalverbund des Bundes und der Länder)