Please enter a search term.
Please note:You can only obtain complete information if you indicate the place of residence, the place of business or the building project, depending on the procedure.

Applying for a settlement permit for minor children

Children who were born in Germany or moved to Germany as minors with or with their parents and are also 16 years old and have had a residence permit for at least 5 years can apply for a permanent settlement permit.


Requirements for the settlement permit for minors are:

  • written application to the competent immigration authority
  • valid passport or passport substitute and clarified identity
  • Completion of the age of 16
  • Possession of a residence permit for 5 years
  • Education or secure livelihood through own income
  • adequate health insurance and sufficient housing
  • no criminal offences

Which documents are required?

  • valid passport
  • 1 current biometric passport photo
  • Proof of education or proof of income
  • Proof of health insurance coverage
  • Rental agreement or purchase contract with indication of the living space
  • Joint interview with the parent/parent with custody

Please note that further proof may be requested in individual cases.

What are the fees?

Please note that even in the event of a refusal, a fee of half of the grant fee may be charged.

Fee: 55,00 EUR
Payment in advance: No
For minors up to the age of 16.

Fee: 56,50 EUR
Payment in advance: No

Processing duration

The processing can take several weeks, as other authorities are also involved in the procedure.


Administrative court action:
Detailed information on this can be found in the decision rejecting your application.

Technically approved by

Lower Saxony Ministry of the Interior and Sport


The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

Source: Serviceportal Niedersachsen (Portalverbund des Bundes und der Länder)