Please enter a search term.
Please note:You can only obtain complete information if you indicate the place of residence, the place of business or the building project, depending on the procedure.

Residence Re-registration Change of status

If you have registered several apartments in Germany and in the meantime mainly use a secondary residence instead of the previously registered main residence, this must be reported to the competent authority. This changes the status in the population register.

Process flow

The notification must be made in person to the competent authority.

Who should I contact?

The responsibility lies with the municipality, the Joint Community and the city in which the new main residence is located.


  • Relocation of the centre of life to another place of residence

Which documents are required?

  • Identity card or passport of all persons subject to reporting obligations concerned

What are the fees?

There are no fees.

What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?

There are no deadlines to be observed.

Processing duration

Processing Time: 0 Day
immediate processing

Applications / forms

The competent authority will provide you with registration forms free of charge. Many places already offer these as downloads on the Internet. You can also have the required information entered into the automated procedure on site.

Technically approved by

Lower Saxony Ministry of the Interior and Sport


The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

Source: Serviceportal Niedersachsen (Portalverbund des Bundes und der Länder)