Please enter a search term.
Please note:You can only obtain complete information if you indicate the place of residence, the place of business or the building project, depending on the procedure.

Place of residence Deregistration of main residence

The deregistration of a main residence is only necessary if you move out of this apartment without moving into a new apartment in Germany. This is the case, for example, if you move abroad. If a secondary residence becomes the new main residence, a change of status is necessary.

Who should I contact?

The responsibility lies with the municipality, the Joint Community and the city in which you have your main residence.

Which documents are required?

  • Registration form

What are the fees?

There are no fees.

What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?

Deregistration abroad is possible at the earliest 1 week before moving out of an apartment and must have taken place 2 weeks after moving out.

Applications / forms

The competent authority will provide you with registration forms free of charge. Many places already offer these as downloads on the Internet. You can also have the required information entered into the automated procedure on site.

Technically approved by

Lower Saxony Ministry of the Interior and Sport


The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

Source: Serviceportal Niedersachsen (Portalverbund des Bundes und der Länder)