Please enter a search term.
Please note:You can only obtain complete information if you indicate the place of residence, the place of business or the building project, depending on the procedure.

Housing benefit cancellation/invalidity

In accordance with Section 28 of the Housing Benefit Act (WoGG), the housing benefit notice can be revoked by the competent authority under certain conditions or becomes invalid by operation of law.

In the event of a significant change in the housing and income situation of the housing benefit recipient, the competent authority is entitled to revoke the housing benefit notice and demand repayments.

Who should I contact?

The responsibility lies with the district, the municipality, the joint municipality or the city in which the applicant resides.


  • significant increase in income or significant reduction in rent/burden,
  • abandonment/termination of the housing by the recipient of housing benefit or the persons to be considered,
  • Improper use of the housing benefit, i.e. the housing benefit is completely or predominantly not used to pay the rent or to raise the burden,
  • Application for or receipt of transfer payments (citizen's allowance, basic security) of one or more household members.

Which documents are required?

Documents are required. Please contact the competent authority.

What are the fees?

There are no fees.

What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?

Changes in the housing and income situation of the housing benefit recipient and other persons to be taken into account must be reported to the competent authority immediately.

What else should I know?

Detailed information is available from the Federal Ministry of Housing, Urban Development and Building (BMWSB):

Technically approved by

Lower Saxony Ministry of Social Affairs, Health and Equality


The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

Source: Serviceportal Niedersachsen (Portalverbund des Bundes und der Länder)