Please enter a search term.
Please note:You can only obtain complete information if you indicate the place of residence, the place of business or the building project, depending on the procedure.

Admission of a European Lawyer to the Bar Decision

Anyone who, as a European lawyer, has been admitted to the branch responsible for the place of residence upon application is entitled to practise as a lawyer in Germany under the professional title of their country of origin.

The decision on admission shall be taken by the competent authority.

Who should I contact?

The jurisdiction lies with the Bar Association.

This procedure can also be carried out through a "Point of Single Contact". The "Point of Single Contact" is a special service offered by municipalities and the state for service providers.


  • The applicant is registered with the competent authority of the home country as a European lawyer

Which documents are required?

  • Curriculum vitae
  • Proof of nationality according to § 3 paragraph 1 Act on the Activities of European Lawyers in Germany (EuRAG)
  • Certificate issued by the competent authority in the home Member State attesting to membership of the profession of European lawyer, which is not older than 3 months and which is accompanied by a certified translation (Section 3(2) of the European Income Tax Act)
  • Original proof of professional liability insurance, either in accordance with § 51 BRAO via insurance taken out in Germany or equivalent insurance in the country of origin (§ 7 paragraph 1 EuRAG)
  • if applicable, certified copy of the doctoral certificate or further evidence of the acquisition of academic degrees
  • Personal sheet with photograph

What are the fees?

Fees are charged in accordance with § 39 of the Act on the Activities of European Lawyers in Germany (EuRAG) and § 192 of the Federal Lawyers' Act (BRAO) in conjunction with the fee regulations of the competent authority. Please contact the competent authority.

What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?

Deadlines may have to be observed. Please contact the competent authority.

What else should I know?

The established European lawyer shall use the professional title which he/she is entitled to use in the country of origin in accordance with the law applicable there. Anyone who is entitled to use the professional title "Rechtsanwältin" or "Rechtsanwalt" must also indicate the professional organisation to which he belongs in the country of origin.

The established European lawyer is entitled to use the designation "member of the Bar Association" in professional dealings. The designation "European lawyer" may not be used as a professional title or in advertising.

Source: Serviceportal Niedersachsen (Portalverbund des Bundes und der Länder)