Please enter a search term.
Please note:You can only obtain complete information if you indicate the place of residence, the place of business or the building project, depending on the procedure.

Applying for recognition of teaching qualifications acquired in the GDR

You can also apply for an examination of the equivalence of your teaching qualification acquired in the GDR outside of a recruitment procedure.

Process flow

The decision on the equivalence of a teacher training examination acquired in the GDR is generally made as part of the application procedure for recruitment to the preparatory service or school service. A separate application for a determination of the equivalence of the teacher training examination or the teaching qualification is not required.

If, exceptionally, a decision on the determination of equivalence is required outside the recruitment procedure, a written request to that effect must be submitted. Once the application has been reviewed, you will receive a notification of recognition or rejection.

Who should I contact?

Please contact the locally responsible Regional State Offices for Schools and Education


You have acquired a teaching qualification in the former GDR.

Which documents are required?

In the case of an examination of the equivalence of the teacher training examination outside the recruitment procedure for the preparatory service or school service, the following documents must be attached to the application:

  • a tabular list of the training courses completed and the activities carried out,
  • official certified copies of the complete graduation documents (e.g. certificate and diploma certificate),
  • if the current name differs from the name on the certificate of qualification, a copy of the marriage certificate, civil partnership certificate or name change,
  • further documents required for the equivalence check may be requested at a later date.

If you would like to be employed as a teacher in the preparatory service or in the school service, you can find out about the required documents on the following websites:

Applications / forms

Forms available: No

Written form required: Yes

Informal application possible: Yes

Personal appearance required: No

Online services available: No

Technically approved by

Lower Saxony Ministry of Education and Cultural Affairs


The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

Source: Serviceportal Niedersachsen (Portalverbund des Bundes und der Länder)