Please enter a search term.
Please note:You can only obtain complete information if you indicate the place of residence, the place of business or the building project, depending on the procedure.

Applying for recognition as a consulting engineer with a professional qualification from abroad

The term "consulting engineer" is regulated in Germany. The job title is specially protected. This means that you need to be entered in the list of consulting engineers if you want to use the title "consulting engineer" in Germany.

You can also apply for a job on the job market and work as an engineer without being entered in the corresponding list of consulting engineers. However, they are not allowed to use the legally protected professional title of "consulting engineer".

Even if you have a degree obtained abroad, you can apply for entry in the list of consulting engineers in Germany. This will be arranged by the responsible Chamber of Engineers after reviewing your documents.

The responsible Chamber of Engineers compares your professional qualification as an engineer from abroad with the professional qualification in the selected federal state. The procedure is called: equivalence determination.

Process flow

The application for entry in the list of consulting engineers must be submitted to the respective Chamber of Engineers.

  • First, submit your application and the required documents to the Chamber of Engineers of the state in which you want to work.
  • If necessary, you will be asked to follow up on missing documents.
  • If your professional qualification as an engineer is recognised and you meet the other requirements, you will be entered in the Chamber of Engineers. Then you can use the designation "Consulting Engineer" in Germany. You will receive a notification of this.
  • If you do not meet the requirements for entry on the list of consulting engineers, the competent authority will inform you of the reasons.

Competent authority

Lower Saxony Chamber of Engineers


  • Recognition of your professional qualification as an engineer in Germany
  • You must be authorized to use the professional title of "engineer".
  • You are allowed to carry out your engineering activities on your own responsibility and independently.
  • You must have at least three years of work experience.
  • Participation in at least four professional training events.
  • You must have professional indemnity insurance.

In order to use the professional title "Consulting Engineer", you must also meet other requirements. You may need to prove these requirements at a later date:

  • Your branch office or main residence must be in the respective federal state or your main work must take place there.
  • Personal suitability: You are reliable to work as a consulting engineer and have no criminal record.

Which documents are required?

  • Proof of entitlement to use the professional title "engineer"
  • Curriculum vitae
  • Proof of identity (ID card or passport)
  • Proof of your professional qualification (e.g. certificates, professional certificate)
  • Proof of the content and duration of your training (e.g. Diploma Supplement, Transcript of Records)
  • At least four certificates of further training
  • Additional proof of relevant professional experience and other qualifications
  • Certificate of establishment or registration certificate of residence in the respective federal state
  • If applicable: Proof of your personal suitability (e.g. certificate of good conduct, extract from the criminal record, certificate of good standing)

If your documents are not in German, you must submit German translations of your documents. Translations must be carried out by translators who are publicly appointed or authorised.

Applications / forms

  • Forms available: Yes
  • Written form required: Yes
  • Informal application possible: No
  • Personal appearance required: No


Appeal before the Administrative Court

Technically approved by

Lower Saxony Chamber of Engineers


The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

Source: Serviceportal Niedersachsen (Portalverbund des Bundes und der Länder)