Please enter a search term.
Please note:You can only obtain complete information if you indicate the place of residence, the place of business or the building project, depending on the procedure.

Medical examination, apply for admission

The study of medicine includes a state examination. To be admitted to the exam, you must register in writing.

Proof of having passed the third section of the medical examination is a prerequisite for the licence to practise medicine.

Medical training includes

  • a six-year course of study in medicine at a university or equivalent institution of higher education, which includes 48 weeks of continuous practical training (practical year)
  • training in first aid;
  • a nursing service of three months,
  • a clinical traineeship of four months and
  • the medical examination, which must be taken in three sections.

The standard period of study, including the examination period for the second section of the medical examination, is six years and three months.

The first section of the medical examination is taken after two years of medical studies.

The second section of the medical examination is taken after three years of medical studies, including one practical year, after passing the first section of the medical examination. The third section of the medical examination is taken after a study of medicine of one year after passing the second section of the medical examination.

Process flow

You must apply for admission to the medical examination in writing.

Submit your application with the required documents to the competent authority.

Who should I contact?

Lower Saxony Association for the Granting of Licenses (NiZzA)

- Dept. 2 State Examination Office (LPA), Nobelring 4, 30627 Hannover


(For e-mail enquiries, a telephone number is requested)

The examinations are taken in front of a state examination board (examination board).

Which documents are required?

Among other things, you must enclose the following with your registration:

  • the birth certificate, in the case of married persons or registered life partners, also the marriage / civil partnership certificate
  • proof of university entrance qualification (university entrance qualification); in the case of certificates obtained abroad, also the notification of recognition from the competent authority
  • the study book or a corresponding proof of study periods
  • Certificate of participation in the training events (original)

Further documents may be mentioned in the application forms.

What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?

Dates of the State Examinations

The current dates can be found on the website of the IMPP ( as well as on the notices at the universities.

Applications / forms

Forms available: Yes

Written form required: Yes

Technically approved by

Lower Saxony Ministry of Social Affairs, Labour, Health and Equality


The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

Source: Serviceportal Niedersachsen (Portalverbund des Bundes und der Länder)